Chapter 1

I was never loved.

I've always felt so distant from others.

I was so innocent back then.

I didn't know what to do.

"Y'know, if I neva married that old hag and started this adoption center with him. I woulda been a showgirl."  Mrs Barrington taunted in a raspy, rough voice. The other children that sat around me laughed and giggled at me and Inhaling one cigarette after another.

"I know..." I whispered to myself and laid my head down low.

Mrs Whitney Barrington, always had a deep hatred for me. I don't know why, I don't know when and I don't know how. But she has been taking care of me since I was a child and always reminded me that I was worthless, even in public.

But I shrugged it off, I always had the idea that they were just doing it for my "own good".

Besides, talking back to her wouldn't make my rocky relationship with her smooth.

"Whitney I need you in here!" Mr Barrington shouted across the hallway, calling for Mrs Barrington.

"Son of a bitch.." She put down her cigarette butt in frustration and got out of her chair.

My life was always boring, I never had toys like the other children or a pen pal to write to, I was always lonely and only ate with my good friend, Mary.

But this day,

It became amusing, however, not in a good way..

"Okay let's see..." Mrs Barrington analyzed the task chart. "Willow, get some berries."

I groaned. Mrs Whitney was a very biased caregiver, if you couldn't already tell. unlike the other kids who got to play in the playground, She would always ask me to do errands for her and neglect me for hours, I figured that was why I was so frail and boney, and she still thinks im 7! Im 12...

I picked up a few coins from the money jar and set off for my new "adventure"... The grocery store.

I exited through the back door. The streets were buzzing with cars honking, frustrated drivers needed to get to work immediately. The outside may be loud and noisy, but it was an escape from that broken orphanage. Teenagers who were definitely supposed to go to school were playing hooky and smoking cigarettes, litering them on the floor.

"Right, Left" I checked to see if any cars were by.

Once I thought it was safe, I crossed.

A huge force hit me and I blacked out.

It didnt hurt though, all i could hear was ringing in my ears.

My mind went blank.

"GASP" I hurriedly took a gasp for air,
beads of sweat trinkled down on my head.

It was cold and dark, but i could feel the rough rocks below me. I heard some noises. My eyes widened in shock and my heart beat trepidly.

I looked around and saw an oil lamp with the wooden sign with the following words that was carved onto it,

"Wait patiently"

Below that was in different languages,

I saw other children like me fall down. But I couldnt tell where.

What happened?

Where was I?

Did I....

Die?