CHAPTER FIFTEEN

MAX

I need to get Penelope some help for these damn nightmares. Are they even nightmares? I don't know. Night terrors maybe?

"Oh, hey you!" I also need to let Maggie know the distance I'm putting between us is for real.
"Ben, Uncle Max is here!"

"I'm not staying. We can do this out here," I respond, shocking her a little.

When Benjamin comes flying towards her legs, he spots a gap, leaping so I have to catch him. My heart struggles when he wraps his tiny arms around my neck and clings on for dear life.

I avoid looking at Maggie who's trying to convey something in her eyes, stroking Benjamin's soft little head. "You okay, bud?"

When he pulls back, he throws me a shy grin before laying his head back on my shoulder to release a big sigh.

"He's missed you. Every day he asks for you," Maggie says when she leans against the doorjamb.

I look her dead in the eye. "Penelope is the best thing that's ever happened to me. I love her to death and respect her enough to come here and tell you that you need to back the hell away. Do you understand? No more stupid little games, Maggie. You start being nice or I'm out."

She blinks. "I am being nice!"

"No, you're being a bully," I hiss, not waiting for her to answer. "It's like you're acting like some kind of jealous lover and it's weird!"

She gasps. "That was uncalled for! I am your friend who's pulled you out of a situation or two. Situations that your girlfriend has no idea about!"

I knew it would come down to this one day. A mistake she'll never let me forget. When Benjamin senses my growing anger, he fidgets around a bit, signalling for me to put him down, so I do.

Maggie bends to pick him up. "I picked you up when you were in the gutter! I said nothing when you ruined my husband's funeral by getting drunk and making a scene! And you're going to stand here and insult me? Penelope is obsessed with me. I can't even look at you without her going crazy."

My head spins a little as memories from Derek's funeral hit me. It's like a tidal wave of pain, anger and embarrassment washing over me until I start to drown.

"It's the truth and you know it," she says, shaking her head in disgust. "You're ignoring the red flags here. I have known you years, yet as soon as you get a girlfriend, you're suddenly not allowed to see me anymore... why? Because I'm a woman? That sounds really damn insecure to me."

"No, because you're pushing right through the boundaries we're trying to set, Maggie. Let's be honest here. You calling Penelope a red flag is going to piss me off," I respond, right about ready to leave.

"Love is blind, Max. I wouldn't be a true friend if I didn't at least warn you a little bit," she steps back, keeping the door open. "Now, you coming in or not? I'm making dinner."

I shake my head. "No, I'm not coming in for dinner. Did you not listen to what I was saying?"

"Look, Max, I get it, she's beautiful and you were feeling lonely, but I don't think she's right for you. There can't be much depth!"

"Shut your mouth right now, you have absolutely no idea," I explode, feeling the anger rise inside of me. "This is it, I'm not fucking doing this anymore. Start respecting my relationship or I'm out!"

"Geez, stop being so defensive. Who are you trying to impress?" she responds, shutting the door in my face.

I'm raging when I walk to my van, slamming the door once I get inside. As soon as I start the engine, I hit Penelope's number and wait for her voice to floats down the line before.