Masquerade/Why So Silent?

Time skip (3 months)

Christine and I are riding inside the carriage, while Raoul is out next to the driver. It's been a long three months without my Angel of Music. Raoul and Christine asked me when we first arrived at this house if I knew anything about the Phantom. Knowing after what happened with Buquet, they would never let me see my Angel of Music again if I told them about him. I just said I had heard rumors from the other ballet girls, but never had any encounter with him since I didn't think he existed at first. They seemed pleased with it and had left me alone about the subject for 3 months. Before we started the journey back to the Opera House, Raoul only said for me to keep an eye on and to just be careful.

We were sent letters by our managers that when everyone returns to the Opera Populaire, there was going to be a masquerade ball. I already have my dress picked out. It's a light blue gown that will bring out the dark brown of my hair and the fairness of my skin. Father always said that blue was my color. A few days before receiving the letter about the ball, Christine gave me a pair of light blue earrings that matched my ballgown, saying it belonged to our mother, and she had left it for me when I grew up. It felt comforting to have something that belonged to my mother since I don't have a strong memory of her.

After long hours of traveling in the carriage, we finally arrive at the Opera House. Everyone was busy getting ready for the ball that night. Raoul is helping Christine and I with our luggage. Meg comes running down the stairs and tumbles into us. We give a group hug and Meg brings us inside. We see Madame Giry and she expresses her happiness at seeing our faces again. Grabbing my trunk from Raoul I head up into my room to get ready for the ball. I look around my familiar room to find a gift left on my bed, with a note attached.

"My Angel of Music. I have missed you so much, and I understand why you left. They made you which I can forgive once I see you at the ball tonight. I shall be expecting a dance from my fiancé. Please wear this tonight, I made it myself. Even though you might be wearing a mask, I know who you are. with all my love, Erik"

I open the little box, and inside is a beautiful golden rose ring. Placing the ring on a chain, I wear the ring around my neck. I will wear it to the masquerade. I hope Erik will like my outfit. I wonder what he is going as.

Now I must get ready for the masquerade. Christine helps me with my corset and I can do my makeup and hair. It takes several hours for everything to be completed. I walk down with Christine to find Raoul, and then join the party. I noticed Christine also has a ring on a chain.

"When were you going to tell me that you and Raoul were engaged?" I ask

Christine turned bright red and looked at me with her wide eyes. "When you tell me who gave you that ring and how long you were seeing them."

Now my eyes go wide. 'What am I going to say? She doesn't know about my Angel.'

"Someone that I met before being the Prima Donna. Hopefully, you will be able to meet him tonight."

"He seems like a good man if he's got you smiling this big when talking about him. It would be lovely to meet." Christine says

Up ahead we spot Raoul. He comments on how beautiful we both look. Although Christine seems worried about something. Could be the engagement. She and Raoul go walking off into the crowd and starts to dance. I wait by the side waiting for Erik to find me.

"You look angelic, my Angel of Music." Erik whispers in my ear.

I turn around and smile. Erik is dressed in a simple black tux and black mask. "You came!" I said while embracing him in a hug.

"I wouldn't leave my fiancé alone with all these men gawking at her. I must protect what is mine." Erik says

Erik grabs my hand and leads me to the dance floor. We spin and we sway to the music. I keep my eyes on Erik, but I catch glimpses of Christine smiling at me. This night is so much fun! I'm dancing with the man I love. You could call this party our secret engagement like Christine and Raoul.