Chapter Two: The Second First Impression

The next few days floated by in a haze. Matt texted Brian with his address, and they set up a lunch date in the quaint little bistro downtown. He called his friend Zacky, a fellow sub who was into pet play, and told him everything about Brian.

"He sounds wonderful!" Zacky exclaimed over the line, "But I'd be extra cautious if I were you. Everything started out wonderful with Sterling too, and look at where that ended up."

Sterling. Matt flinched at the name. "Yeah, I'll be careful. At least Brian is suggesting a written contract. Then I can hold him to it. I'll have to see what his contract says, and if he doesn't mind working together to make alterations. He seems to know a lot about human pups."

For a while, Zacky and Matt had tried to be friends with benefits. But it didn't work out because they both were quite submissive, and neither of them really wanted to top. So they just got together as friends, sometimes they got in headspace together and played around. Zacky was a fox and Matt was a puppy, and he liked to think of them like Todd and Copper from that Disney movie.

Matt wondered if Brian would still be okay with Matt speaking to Zacky if he agreed to the contract. He sure hoped so.

Matt was too nervous to eat breakfast the morning of their date as he paced the length of his apartment. What was he supposed to wear? He wanted to impress Brian, at the play party he had worn little more than boxers and his ears and tail. Brian had worn a fucking suit. Matt used to have a worn suit that he wore for weddings and funerals and things like that, but he couldn't for the life of him find the coat that went with it.

He ended up in a white button down shirt (it was on his closet floor so he had to wrestle with the ironing board his mother got him years ago that he hadn't used once) and his suit pants, so at least most of his tattoos were covered. He was desperate to look at least a little professional. Brian might decide he isn't good enough and close off the deal before they even got started. And fuck, Matt wanted this.

He was shaking a little as he got out of his car that afternoon. Brian was waiting outside the restaurant, and he smiled at Matt as Matt approached. Matt's heart fluttered at the sight of him, all dressed up again in a navy blue suit.

"Hello, Matt." He held out his hand, and Matt placed his in it gently. "It's so good to see you again."

"It's good to see you again, too." Matt replied. He noticed Brian had a manila folder under his arm, and he asked, "Is that the contract?"

"All in good time." Brian opened the door for Matt, and they stepped inside the restaurant.

They were seated at a small table in the corner of the restaurant. Brian seemed to know the host well, and they exchanged some polite conversation. When their waiter left with their drink orders, Brian remarked, "I didn't mention this before, but you look very nice, Matt."

Matt felt his cheeks heating up, and he stammered, "Oh, uh, thank you! You look nice too."

Brian smiled. "So what do you do for work?"

"I uh, I work at the loading dock for Salinger Distributing." Matt replied, "It's not too exciting, but it gets the bills paid."

"What exactly do you do there?" Brian asked. His teeth flashed as he spoke, and Matt wanted nothing more than for those teeth to bite him.

He swallowed. "Um, I unload. You know, trucks come in, I help take the cargo out, they move out. All day long."

"I can't imagine that's very entertaining work. It sounds strenuous."

"Yeah, I used to be in sorting, which was more difficult. The boxes we bring in have to be sorted so they can be shipped on boats out of the country. I like unloading more. I can listen to music while I work, so it's not as boring. It also builds muscle." He smiled, "I like to be strong."

"Mm, I can imagine so." Brian's eyes searched his face, before stating, "You have dimples."

Matt nodded. "Yeah, I hated them when I was a kid."

"I love them." Brian replied, "I think they add a lot to your character."

The waiter brought their drinks and asked for their order. Matt found the cheapest thing on the menu (which was still way out of his budget), then stammered something about going Dutch, and Brian laughed, waving his hand. "No, no, I'm buying, don't worry about it."

The waiter took Brian's order and left, and Brian asked, "How long have you been a stray, Matt?"

"Almost a year now." Matt replied.

"Do you enjoy it? Not being tied to a single master?"

Matt shook his head. "I didn't really enjoy my experience with my last master, but other than him, I've really loved having a handler and being owned. I don't like being a stray."

Brian nodded. "I see. I can say I don't like not having a pet myself. I live for molding slaves to reach their full potential." He smirked, "And for playing a game of fetch once in a while."

They spoke until their meal arrived, and Matt was anxious to get to the part about the contract. But it sat on the table, untouched, until the end of the meal. Brian paid, and they walked out of the restaurant. "Well, I must say I quite enjoyed myself today, Matt." Brian handed the folder to Matt. "Here is my contract. I would like you to look it over. When you have read it, contact me and we can discuss the terms together. If you then decide you would like to take me up on my offer, we can sign it at that time."

Matt took the folder, nodding eagerly, "Okay, sounds good!"

Brian smiled. "I would very much like to have you as my submissive, Matt. I think you will do well under my care. I know you didn't have a pleasurable experience with your last master, and can assure you that I will do everything in my power to make your time with me as enjoyable as possible." He paused, "Why didn't you like your last master?"

Matt sighed. "He didn't really see the importance of communication. Our contract was verbal, and he didn't give a shit about any of my hard limits. I don't know, I just didn't ever feel secure and safe with him, even when we were outside of the dungeon. And sometimes he expected me to remain in my headspace for days at a time, and I can only withstand it for a few hours before needing to switch back. It just was a bad relationship all around."

Brian frowned. "Was he abusive?"

Matt nodded. "Yes. I don't think he quite understood that just because as his sub I was less than human, that didn't make me an outlet for his need to abuse and neglect." Matt looked at Brian. "But I'm not with him anymore. I'd rather be a stray forever than go back to him."

"Did you call the police?" Brian asked, "If he performed your hard limits knowing you didn't consent to it-"

"My friend found out what was going on and called the police. He's serving time now, thank god."

"Good. It won't be like that with me. You'll be very safe with me, Matt, very well looked after. I hope you find that my contract is agreeable with you."

"Oh, I think it will be." Matt clutched the folder close. "I'll be sure to read it and get back in touch with you."

"Alright." Brian started heading across the parking lot, to a sleek silver car which was probably worth more than Matt had ever owned in his life. "Stay safe, Matt. I'll talk to you later."

Then Matt was alone outside. With his heart leaping in his throat, he headed for his car.