My heart was beating rapidly but when that gunshot went off and my head shot up, the entire stadium went silent... I began moving quickly. Making sure I picked my back leg up correctly each time, my form needed to be perfect or else I knew I would land wrong footing wise. Crystal was on side of me, which did not shock me. She was just as talented as I was and we both knew that, which is why the petty beef from high school was so thick and tense back then.

The power of coexisting was useless to us back then and we were not teammates. We were not from the same school or coached by the same person. We felt nothing but indifference back then. Hadn't not held a genuine conversation ever in our lives up until a few moments ago.

"Fuck!"

Hearing her scream, I side eyed Crystal just in the split second that she'd stumbled over something and it sent her tumbling down. My adrenaline wasn't stopping at all and I continued, seeing the finish line a few meters ahead. Oh shit, I was about to win this... I was about to win first place at the freaking Olympics... I crossed the finish line but my legs did not stop moving.

It wasn't your fault.

Instead of celebrating, I ran back on the track and straight towards Crystal. She was sitting on the ground shaking her head as she tried to stretch out her leg. When I approached she looked up at me with tears in her eyes but smiled a genuine smile for once. "You won, go celebrate Hops!"

"Uh uh, not until you finish."

"What? No, my ankles killing me. I think I landed on something wrong." She scoffed as she waved me off. "Don't worry about me, if anything this is natural karma coming right back at me."

I glanced and saw that the medics were coming from the other side of the field and soon told her. "Come on, I know we didn't come this far to not cross the finish line. I'll help you. It's the Olympics girl, you are crossing that finish line. Let's go." Holding my hand out, she took it and I pulled her up and helped her stand steady. Her arm slunk around my shoulders as I began helping her towards the finish line. The crowd seemed to get louder as she hopped on one foot until we both crossed it together.

Our teammates met us after we did, cheering us on as the medics grabbed Crystal and laid her on a stretcher. She looked up at me and nodded softly. "Thank you."

"Anytime. I hope your legs ok." I told her honestly, having been in this exact same position.

"It just looks like a sprain." The medic soon told us all as they began moving her towards the Athlete Medic room. When they'd escorted her off completely, my teammates began jumping around me excitedly. My grin broke out as they patted my back, all of us walking back to our tent. I sat down on the ground in the shade and grabbed my water from next to me, chugging it down like it was no tomorrow.

I looked up and around again, trying to see if I could spot my family but came up short. Sighing, I dug into my duffel bag and pulled out my phone to text my sisters or my best friend to see where they were. However, before I could someone walked up on me. A lady with a suit on stood towering over me, her brown hair was short and in a short cut that fitted her. She looked me over for a moment with a serious expression. My teammates noticed her and everyone began looking my way.

Soon, her hand had extended. "Nicole Hoevertsz, nice to meet you."

Shaking her hand, I soon introduced myself as well. "Alana Hopkins, it's nice to meet you as well."

"Miss Alana, do you know who I am?"

"No ma'am." I decided to tell the truth just incase she was getting ready to throw me for a loop in the follow up question.