prologue

Avery
eight years ago

There's something in the air of university campuses that feels different. I can already tell that I was going to have fun in college...except, I was going to wait another two years to be able to live the full college experience.

Instead, I was here, on foreign soil with students that were intimidatingly older than I was.

It would be much easier to have a best friend who wasn't some kind of a kid genius that has skipped a few (by that I mean a lot) grades and attends a fancy university even though you were both the same age while you're still stuck in a high school that seems juvenile compared to all of this.

Alas, the things that I do for my best friend.

I peered down at the map in my hand that Spencer had personally drawn out for me in case I planned to visit him on campus. But in all honesty, Spencer wasn't the artsiest person I knew, nor was the chicken scratches that he called his handwriting the best, so I'm not sure the map is that much help.

Squinting at his words, I frown, wondering how after almost eighteen years of friendship, I still couldn't decipher his writing.

"Are you lost, pretty girl?"

I look up at the voice, my frown deepening at the sight of the unfamiliar face that was staring in my direction with a wide smile that shows off a row of perfectly polished teeth.

Peering over my shoulder, I try to spot the person this dude is talking to when he says in an amused tone, "No need to look around. I'm talking to you, sweetheart."

I blink, is this guy hitting on me? It sounds like he is, but there is also a possibility that he was just being nice.

"If you need directions, I'm happy to be of service," He continues, "I even know this place that makes the best burgers. I could take you. What do you say?"

Before I could open my mouth to reply, a voice- one that I recognise this time- speaks from behind me.

"I'd say that's borderline illegal considering that she's sixteen and you look like you're at least twenty."

I whirled around to face my friend who eyes the stranger warily before reaching out and wrapping a large hand around my wrist and pulling me into his side.

While Spencer has always been slightly protective of me- and me of him- I don't think I've ever seen him look at someone like this before.

When I look back, I see that the guy was already gone- the threat of getting in trouble for trying to get with a minor was enough to scare him off, probably.

"What are you doing here, Aves?" Spencer asks, lacking his usual chirpiness.

Undeterred by his unusually foul mood, I grin. "Do you not know what today is?"

At the look of confusion on his face, my brows knitted together, my frown reappearing once again, mostly because he was the one who'd asked me to meet him here last week.

It didn't pass me that it so happened to be my birthday. But now, looking at the genuine confusion on his face, a smudge of annoyance blossoms in my chest.

Spencer doesn't normally forget most things- it's still a wonder to me how he manages to retain so much information in such an, arguably, small head.

I narrow my eyes at him, "You seriously don't remember?"

"Should I?" Was his reply.

I raise my chin with a huff, "So, there's no need for me to stay then?"

Without waiting for a response, I turn on my heels and start to stomp off. Though, I don't make it very far before I feel Spencer's hand around mine, spinning me back around and bringing me back face-to-face with him again.