Chapter 1

Thanks to @expelledcheddar for some help!

Now on with the book!

A young blonde witch girl walks slowly paced through the eerie misted forest, searching for something she can't quite place. Behind her, her brother chases after her, trying to urge her on retuning home, but the girl is in no hurry at all. 

Walking throughout the fog the girl stops at the edge of a clearing, before her hangs a deep mist that obscures her vision and hiding anything too far away. 

Panting from exhaustion, her brother finally had the chance to catch up with her, "Goody, what are you doing?" The boy asks, his patience wearing thin. Goody stares into the mist, searching for answers that might not exist.

"I need a familiar, if I want to be a better Raven." she mumbles.
The darker haired boy rolls his head back. "Come on, It can't be that simple, Mom never even got hers." 

"Dear Celeb, We don't have time for that." Goody snaps at her brother's lack of faith. Her brother calls after her, but she's already vanished into the mists, Celeb reluctantly follows, trying to keep up with her nimble steps. 

Racing through the thick fog Goody catches a glimpse of someone's figure wandering through the fog, as they make eye contact through the mist before the figure quickly rushes off.

"Wait!" Goody pursued the figure through the fog, her heart pounding as she tries to catch up as the figure leads her further into the forest, dodging behind trees and weaving through the underbrush.

She can hear the footsteps on the nearby rocks, but the fog is far too thick. Goody can't spot him ahead, as the chase continues, just when she thinks she's got him, he had turned a corner and disappears. Goody stops, frustrated and tired, but feeling a strange sensation she gets inside her body, like a sign that she's close to completing her quest.

With renewed bravery, she rushes deeper into the woods, following the boy's whispers. Her eyes scan the area, but the shadows obscure her vision and the trees block any clear paths. 

A loud crash rings out, and Goody turns her head to find a huge tree has fallen just yards away from her. She freezes, her heart thudding in her chest as she watches the tree crash to the ground. As the dust settles, she has backed up at the sight of the chopped tree, it was a clear sign something else was here...

Her body freezes as she realizes there's something moving through the bushes just feet away from her. Her instincts tell her to run, but she feels a strange sensation on her skin, she can sense danger, but there is also something else drawing her to it. She takes a deep breath and continues to follow the presence, feeling as if it's calling her.

Her heart beats heavily in her chest as she braces herself, reaching out she grabs ahold of the branches, pulling them apart with a jerk...

Goody's breath catches in her throat, finding herself face to face with a strange animal, a wolfish creature with a mane of black raven feathers. She can feel its gaze upon her, that surges through her body, as if it's drawn to her in the same way. It's eyes seem to burn into her own. For a moment, it sits still, studying her.

Goody finally speaks. "What are you?" Her tone is hushed as she feels awestruck by the animal's beauty and wondering what it represents. The animal tilts it's head in response, but remains silent. It's gaze never wavers from hers, and she begins to feel as if they're connected somehow, as if they could understand each other.

The young witch reaches out her hand to touch the animal's fur. It's soft and warm, she feels a sense of comfort in its presence. The magic in herself growing stronger, She feels as if the familiar has found her. Her heart squeezes with joy, she smiles softly as she reaches out to give the animal a gentle pat on the head.

The animal lets out a small sneeze, causing puff of misty blue fog spill out from it's snout. Goody laughs nervously, amused by the unexpected reaction. The familiar stares at her with it's deep eyes, as if the animal can read her thoughts the animal wags it's tail slightly, before nuzzling itself closer to her.

Goody reaches down to pet it, and the animal leans into her hand. The two share a moment of understanding, and Goody feels as if the familiar is choosing her. The animal looks up at her, its eyes shimmering with magic, and Goody's heart swells with joy as she realizes they've found one another, she hugs the familiar close to her, as it nuzzles it's head into her chest. The tingles of Magic still grow stronger, and Goody can feel the familiar's Magic mixing with her own. She closes her eyes, feeling a deep connection, she knows that this familiar is going to be a powerful ally in her journey as a witch.

"Goody..!"

She opens her eyes to find her brother Celeb standing nearby. His face is pale and he looks panicked. Goody stands up, pulling the familiar close to her and smiling. It lets out a low growl, as if it's protecting her. Goody shakes her head at Celeb, letting him know that she's fine. "But.. the tree.." Celeb starts.

"... Crackstone.."