✴ Prologue ✴

Knowing your own darkness is the best method for dealing with darkness of others

                                 ~Carl Jung

Euphymia breathed, in and out, the rhythmic inhales and exhales barely audible in the darkness that enveloped her. The chamber was swallowed in obscurity, but the relentless rush of water over the drafty stone floor filled the air, a cacophony of impending doom.

The anticipation coiled in her gut, causing her toes to twist and fidget as she huddled on a raised platform. Her slender, nervous fingers tore and twined at a frayed edge of her tunic, desperately seeking solace in the face of the unknown.

Yet, in this sea of darkness, all she could perceive was an absence of light, obscuring the beauty that once captivated her.

She reminisced about the first time she laid eyes upon the city, its broken and ruined structures still exuding a remarkable grandeur. The remnants of what once was—a testament to the resilience of humanity's creations. The city held the promise of new wonders, new beginnings that could be born from its fractured beauty.

But now, those possibilities seemed destined to remain forever unknown to her.

A surge of emotions overcame Euphymia, and tears welled up, tracing a path down her cheeks. She closed her eyes, hoping to shield herself from the inevitable. "So this is how I die," she thought, her voice choked with sorrow.

A weight settled upon her chest as the water level rose with an unforgiving speed. It crept past her abdomen, inching closer to her chest. Fear gripped her, and her teeth chattered in its icy grasp. Her heart pounded erratically, matching the rhythm of her shallow breaths. She hadn't expected to feel so unprepared for this impending death.

"Why?" she wondered, her thoughts a chaotic symphony. She had known the risks and perils of the path she embarked upon. She had willingly dragged her brother along. Regret gnawed at her soul as she contemplated the burden she placed upon Aerith, the grief he would endure without her.

Her eyes blurred with tears, and she longed to cry out, to seek refuge in her brother's arms, the only sanctuary she had ever known. They had faced hardships together, finding solace in each other's unwavering support. Now, one would be left to bear the weight of their shared existence alone.

The water rose relentlessly, reaching her chest, its icy touch stealing her breath. She fought against the suffocating despair that threatened to consume her. A painful death awaited her, drowning in this murky abyss. She resigned herself to her fate, feeling the weight of all the unfulfilled dreams and aspirations that would perish with her.

. . . . . . .  

And then, as if the universe itself held its breath, the chamber trembled. The stone floor beneath her fractured, and with a desperate scream, she was plunged into the abyss. The water rushed into her mouth, stealing her voice, dragging her into the depths she never knew existed.