The truth

Nathan Valentino

"I'm so glad we are finally here." Kaia spoke, leaning her head on my shoulder as the security were checking our passports.

"Me too, baby." I sighed with content. It was nice to be home again.

I watch the man who is checking my passport and he looks confused. He knows. He takes one more look at me before he excuses himself and walks off. Fuck, this was all I needed.

"What's happening, babe?" Kaia asked with an innocent smile. She can't know anything, her being with me is dangerous but she doesn't know that.

"I'm not sure, they probably don't recognize me, my passport is quite old now." I lied. Fuck I hate lying to her but if she knew of my past she would leave. I can't lose her, ever.

"Oh okay." She replied nonchalantly.

It didn't take long for the man to come back. But he was with someone else, someone that I recognized.

"Padre?" I questioned.

"Ciao figlio." He responded, with a slight smile. I couldn't believe it, I thought they had gotten him.

I walked towards my dad and he had his usual stern look on his face, I thought he was just going to shake my hand as he normally does, instead, he pulled me in for a hug, patting my back.

Growing up, my dad was huge on respect, he loved us but didn't show it that much. Ever since I was a little boy he had me greet him by shaking his hand, he was never one for hugs. He fought for the country and was a high-ranking officer for 20 years.

"Padre meet Kaia, Kaia meet my father," I said. My dad walked closer to Kaia with a smile.

"You are my son's lady, si?" He asked, sticking out his hand.

"Yes Sir." Kaia smiled, shaking his hand.

"I appreciate it but shush with that nonsense you can call me Marco, now let's get you two home, you must be tired." He spoke before turning around.

I looked behind me and nodded at my security, they followed behind us with our luggage.

"Let's go, baby," I said to Kaia. She smiled whilst gripping my hand. We followed behind my father as he led us out of the airport. "How did you know we were coming?" I asked him.

"Nonna said, plus you know that my badge can get me into places like these?" He spoke.

"I thought you retired?" I asked.

"I did, but I was needed. The Benardi's have started war again, you can't walk the streets without he," I cut him off. "So, are we staying with you and Mom or nonna?"

He gave me a strange look, so I nodded toward Kaia whilst she wasn't looking. He carried on leading us through the airport like normal, no one saying a word.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After a long silent car ride, we finally arrived home. I looked over to the side of me and saw my sleeping beauty. Leaning closer I placed a kiss on her lips, she slowly opened her eyes, "We are here." I whispered.

As we were pulling up next to the house I see my mom at the door with a huge smile. I prayed for Kaia as my mom has no daughter and will most likely steal her from me.