The Final Chapter

I blinked my eyes a few times, waking up to the smell of coffee. I stared at what appeared to be my bedroom ceiling for a moment, then turned my head to the right, trying not to groan in pain. Mike and Austin must have really hit me pretty hard.

Alex was next to me, consumed in the book he was reading. The coffee was sitting untouched on the side table.

"Alex," I whispered. "What happened?"

Alex jumped a little at my voice and he shut his book, coming over to me.

"Ella? Are you okay?" he asked, worry creeping into his voice. He began stroking my hair with his fingers.

I nodded. "I think so. Just a little sore..." I slowly started sitting up, but Alex gently pushed me back down.

"Rest," he said.  "Don't get up too fast."

I relaxed at his touch and pulled the covers up. "What happened, where's Austin? Where's Hailey?"

Alex frowned. "Well I don't know and quite honestly don't care where Austin is. And who's Hailey?"

"Your girlfriend."

Alex shook his head. "You know I don't have a girlfriend, Ella. I'm going to call Dr. Owens and see if he can check on you again..."

"Wait, wait. How long have I been out? How long ago was the fight?"

Alex looked concerned. "About 3 hours."

Realization began to set in. Austin never  did all these nice things for me. He didn't become my friend or ask me to prom. He was the same Austin. The same one who had caused me physical and emotional pain over the years. The Austin who had finally let his guilt catch up to him.

I glanced up shyly at Alex. "I think I must have just had some really weird dreams."

"About what?"

I hesitated, not sure where to start. "Well, Austin became nice out of nowhere. And he asked me to prom, and then you weren't my friend anymore because you had a girlfriend and took her to prom and-"

"Wait, what? Is that why you were asking about someone named Hailey?" Alex asked, chuckling to himself. I nodded and he continued to laugh. "And you thought it was real?"

I nodded again.

"Ella, did you really think I wouldn't take you to prom?"

My heartbeat quickened. "I mean, I didn't think that we-"

I never finished the sentence. Alex leaned in and kissed me, erasing all thoughts of Austin and Hailey. Before I realized it or could react, he was already sitting back up, his fingers twirling my hair. "I've loved you for two years, Ella. Of course I'm going to prom with you."

~~~

I heard a knock on the door as I was putting the last bobby pin into my hair.

"Coming!" I shouted, taking one final look in the mirror at my dark blue dress before rushing to the door. I opened it to reveal an extra handsome-looking Alex, who was wearing a well-fitting black suit with a tie to match my dress, a bouquet of flowers in his hand. My eyes welled up with happy tears for the first time in a long time.

"Oh Ella, you look so beautiful," he said, walking in and kissing me on the cheek. He handed me the flowers, letting me smell them before taking my hand and pulling me into a hug. "Shall we?" He asked, releasing me. I nodded.

We walked down the stairs together, hand in hand, and made our way to the ballroom. I was just about to enter when I heard my name being called. Alex and I turned around to see Austin, also in a black suit, waving at us from across the hall. I took a deep breath and let it out slowly. Alex stiffened next to me, likely doing the same thing.

"Ella, can I please talk to you?" Austin called.

Alex opened his mouth to speak, but I squeezed his hand. "It's okay Alex, I can handle this," I whispered. "I'll be right back, okay?"

He nodded and let go of my hand, and I made my way towards Austin. Austin, the one who had tormented me. Austin, the one who had made my life a living hell. Austin, the one who had injured me multiple times. Austin, who now looked at me with guilt in his eyes...

As I got closer, I thought of what I was going to say to him. What was he going to say to me? Would he apologize? Would I forgive him?

I stopped in front of him, staring him in the eyes. "Yes, Austin?"

"Ella, I'm so sor--"

My arm came back, and I threw it forward as hard as I could, punching him straight in the nose. I heard a loud crack, and Austin doubled over in pain, clutching his nose with his now-bloody hands.

I turned around and walked back to Alex, his mouth open and eyes wide.

"What did you just do? He asked, with a hint of a smile.

I took his hand and led him to the prom's entrance. "Nothing. Just took care of my high school bully."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

4/3/23

Well, everyone, it's been 10 years since I wrote this story, but I finally fixed the ending! I hope you like this better, I know I do. And if you don't, disregard this chapter and pretend it doesn't exist!

Thanks everyone for the support over the past 10 years. I'm hoping my writing has improved since then. I wish you all the best, and happy reading!

Kay