"He won't," I say soothingly, "there're a lot of people, he's probably just as lost and nervous."

She nods uncertainly and keeps moving. We end up near the doors to outside and the cold wind makes me shiver. I stand on tip-toe, trying to see Lee.

"What do we do?" Lisa asks, her eyes full of tears. I put my hands on her shoulders and look her in the eyes.

"Take a deep breath," I tell her, "we'll find him. Breathe."

She takes a few breaths and blinks the tears away. I squeeze her hand and lead her back toward the marble stairs. As we approach I see Lee and feel a flood of relief.

"There, see?" I say, giving her a gentle push in his direction. She almost skips up to him and I stand a few feet away, feeling awkward. I look around at the crowd and then down at my feet. I don't really know what to do.

Luckily it's not too long before the teachers are ushering us in to the Great Hall and in to two long lines to greet the champions and their dates. Lisa grabs my arm and pulls me along with her and Lee. The champions come in and start dancing. Everyone watches, unsure if to join or not. Eventually Professor Dumbledore leads Professor McGonagall on to the dancefloor and others begin to join.

"Come on!" Lee says with a grin. Lisa shoots me a look and I nod, smiling, but my smile drops as soon as she moves away. I back in to a corner and sink down at a table. Maybe I could leave now. Lisa wouldn't know, I'd just pretend we couldn't find each other. Angelina comes over and sits with me.

"No date?" she asks. I shake my head.

"I'm here with a Durmstrang boy," she says, "he's finding us a drink. You should have asked Fred."

I open my mouth, but her date appears and whisks her away before I can say anything. I sit back, feeling even more alone. I look around the Hall and see lots of other students sitting at tables alone. At least I'm not the only one.

At the end of the song I stand up and make my way towards the doors, ducking between people. I step out in to the Entrance Hall and breathe a sigh of relief.

"Leaving early?"

I look back and see Fred, I assume, leaning against the wall.

"Uh, yeah," I nod, "I sort of only came for Lisa."

Fred nods.

"Well, do you want a dance before you go?" he asks, "you don't want to waste those pretty robes, right?"

"I guess not," I blush. I walk over to him and he extends his hand. I take it, my heart racing. He leads me on to the dance floor, but to an empty spot. He pulls me in to a waltz position and I try to relax and fall in to step with him, but I'm shaking.

"You know, I was hoping you'd ask me to come tonight," he says casually, making my stomach leap.

"What, why?" I exclaim. He blushes a little and glances down.

"Because I'm too chicken to have asked you myself," he says.

"But why would you have wanted to go with me?" I ask, baffled.

"I've always thought you were the prettiest girl in our year," he says, "you're definitely the prettiest girl here tonight."

"I'm a boy," I blurt out. I freeze. Fred frowns slightly.

"Uh, what?"

"I... I..." I stare at him, my face burning, "I was born a boy... I... I just never felt... Like a boy. I felt like a girl. So I became a girl."

Fred is staring at me, but I can't read his face. We've stopped dancing and are frozen in that pose. I think I'm going to be sick. Why did I say that?! Fred shakes his head slowly.

"I still think you're the prettiest girl here," he says.