CHAPTER 1 // Healing wounds

Start from the beginning

You have cats to feed. He reminded himself matter-of-factly.

Lowering his head, he picked up the freshly killed rabbit and started making his way back to Thunderclans new camp. Which was a small clearing surrounded by bramble thickets.

He remembered how he and the rest of the Thunderclan survivors, those being Blossomfall and Purdy, had spent days weaving together the thick, thorny branches after they first arrived. 

Thornstar felt a shiver run down his spine as he remembered the first few days after the battle against The Dark Forest. So many cats had been injured and so many had died... 

Even Lionblaze - who had been one of Thunderclans strongest warriors, had died of exhaustion moments after he had battled a clans worth of Dark Forest cats by himself. Thornstar and what few cats there where left of the other clans, where lucky to be alive, but still, the thought of his time as a Dark Forest trainee did not let his mind rest.

After gathering together, the survivors of each clan had agreed to start a new life outside their current boarders, somewhere far away, where the memories of that night could not chase them down.

There was no way any of them could go back now, to the old territories, not to what they had left behind. 

Thornstars memories didn't let him realize he had already made his way to camp, since he had paused right in front of the camp entrance, lost in thought. Coming to his senses he blinked away his memories and then, in one swift motion, he leaped through the small tunnel that acted as the entrance to their new camp. 

At the edge of camp, four kits, almost as big as he was, huddled together with a graying old tom. Their eyes full of wonder as they no doubt where listening to one of his stories again. 

The sound of rustling bushes alerted them and, noticing their father had returned, each of the kits scrambled one by one to greet him, tripping over each other as they sprinted towards him. 

A small white and ginger tom halted in front of the hare, lowering his head down to sniff its large ears.

"Is that for me?" Stemkit squeaked, gazing down in awe at the rabbit which was bigger then he was.

Thornstar let a purr rise in his throat, "It's for all of you." he meowed, giving his son an affectionate lick around the ears, "Make sure Purdy eats as well."

All four kits  let out excited squeals as they began dragging the fresh kill away, each squabbling loudly about who'd get the first bite.

Thornstar watched them leave, a knot of guilt building in his stomach. Since when was one hare enough to feed an entire clan? He wondered gloomily.

Then, he felt the thick pelt Blossomfall brush against him, distracting him from his thoughts.

"Littlecloud came by today," she meowed, brushing her cheek against his, "The gathering will be held at the fallen oak, near where the stream bends." she explained,

Thornstar nodded. Moons prior, when they first arrived here, the survivors of The Great Battle had agreed to let the clans stay separate for while, holding a truce in their new home. Joining together for a proper gathering only when each kit in the clans had reached the age of apprenticeship.

Then, as if the mention of the medicine cats name had summoned her, a tortoiseshell she-kit came bounding up towards her parents, mouth still covered in hare fuzz.

The she-kit, Plumkit, halted in front of Thornstar, her amber eyes wide with excitement. 

"Littlecloud helped us finish the medicine cat den!" she squeaked, "And he said I could be his apprentice! Like, officially! Isn't that great? Want to come see?"

Thornstar let out a laugh, the knot deep inside him untangling at the sight of his daughters excitement, "Of course." he meowed kindly, following after her as she sprang away once more.

He followed her to the northmost side of camp, where a large, fallen beech trees drunk had been hollowed out to form a den, the entrance of which had been covered by thick ivy leaves.

Plumkit pushed past the tangle of vines and swiftly turned around, greeting Thornstar, who had just stuck his head in the entrance. 

"See?" Plumkit chirped, turning in tiny circles around the den, "There's moss and cobwebs, and tansy and marigold, and Oh! Littlecloud helped us gather some watermint today, so our supplies are well stocked!" 

The tortoiseshell stared at her father expectedly. "Well?" she meowed, tucking a small clump of moss into the splintery walls of the den, "What do you think?" 

Thornstar let out another purr, letting the warm sense of pride that had been building up inside his chest over take him. "Very well done, Plumkit!" he meowed, moving to touch his nose to her shoulder, "You and Littlecloud have done a good job here."

Plumkit was about to respond, when a she was cut off by a shrill shriek of pain.