Chapter 38: House Haunting

"You still have your pinnie on," I tell Gavi, pointing at his chest as we enter the change room at the end of practice on Thursday.

"I'm not falling for that," he claims, sticking his chin up in the air.

I take a sip of my water before adding, "And it's on backwards."

He looks down at chest, pinnie still equipped and backwards. Typical Gavi. He pulls it over his head and carries it with him over to his bench. I go over to mine across the room. Despite Gavi's current childish tendencies, we're buying a house today. Hopefully.

When we're all changed he heads out but Xavi stops us at the change room door. "Where are you two going?"

"Anywhere but your house," I respond. The house hunting is a secret between Gavi and I, mostly so that we don't get told no. Better to ask for forgivness then permission.

He sighs, closing his eyes for a second before reopening them. "Isla please, your parents are there waiting."

"That's why I'm avoiding it."

"Are you at least coming for the family dinner?" my uncle asks. My parents wanted to have one nice meal all together before they leave. I would consider it fair if there wasn't all of two nights open for such an event, one of which Gavi and I have our first real date on. Also it would've been great had the first conversation we had upon their arrival not been an all out 'you're a disappointment but we're not nice enough to flat out say it' argument.

I start to cave, knowing I should go. "Is he invited?" I gesture to Gavi at my side.

"The more the merrier."

"Why don't you," I start to suggest, "take them out of the house around four and Gavi and I will make a nice dinner."

"You can't cook," Xavi points out. It's a well known fact in my family. Once when he was visiting us I thought I'd make some chicken in the slow cooker, long story short we all got food poisoning. I was 14 and I will never live it down.

Thanks. "I know, but Gavi can and I can be his sue chef." I nod a bunch, looking over at Gavi. He nods along. To be fair we make a great team, I would trust us if I were Xavi.

My uncle looks fed up with having to figure this stuff out and be the mediator between me and my parents so he agrees. "Fine, but it better be edible."

"Okay so poisonous is acceptable."

He walks away.

I smile, guiding Gavi out into the hallway. "Sorry I got you roped into that, you can bow out it you want."

"And leave you to your own devices while cooking?" he asks, taking my hand in his. "Not a chance."

"My saving grace," I joke. "No but seriously, I have a plan."

"Lets here it."

We arrive at the first house we booked a viewing appointment for and I finish telling Gavi my plan.

"That simple?" he asks, opening up my car door for me.

I get out. "That simple."

We make our way inside the house and are greeted by a man in a suit. I feel under dressed for this, I'm wearing a plain t-shirt and skinny jeans. Gavi is similarly wearing shorts and a t-shirt.

The man who greets us gives us a tour and the house is nice, open and bright like we were searching for, but it doesn't feel right. Plus it seems too big for a first house for two teenagers, despite how much money Gavi makes from his career. To add to that he has barley had any expenses the last few years while living with his parents so he has saved up a lot. It was heart warming to hear he paid his parents back for all the academy they put him through to get him where he is and I figure if I do make it big I'll do the same for my parents. All I need to do is sign a permanent contract with Barcelona and then I'll start getting paid.