𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐

"Thank you!!" I shout, running across the field and away from school grounds. I continue on until I reach the phone store, sighing in as i look at my phone. The screen was cracked everywhere, not an inch of space between each crack. I set my phone on the counter as the worker inspects it.

"Oh no... Your phone screen is completely busted."

"How long will it take to fix it?"

"Hmm... Honestly, it would be cheaper to buy a new one than to repair this one... Even the ones that the phone shops hand out for free are better than this one. If you go to the shop next door--"

"No. I don't need a new one! I just want this one fixed? How long will it take to repair it?"

"Ah... well, if you say so..."

"it can be repaired right?"

"Yes, but we don't have the parts in stock for this model. Should  give you a temporary phone to use? Or should I contact you once we receive the parts?"

I let out a relieved sigh, looking down at my busted phone, " I'll be okay for a day... I'll come back tomorrow ..."

"Okay. If you can give me a number that I could reach you by then that would be great. It'll probably cost around this much to repair it."

--

I trudge home silently, sighing dejectedly.

'Thank goodness it can be fixed...'

"I'm home." I say, looking at my father.

"Lee Iseul!! Are you okay?!" He asks worriedly, checking for any signs of injuries. I look at him confused before he continues with, "I heard you left school early to go to the hospital because you got hurt durning P.E."

"Oh. I'm fine."

"Your forehead...!! What happened to my daughter's forehead?!" He asks with his hand over his mouth.

"I said I was fine... stop overreacting. I didn't go to the hospital, I went to get my phone repaired."

"Phone? You mean you left school early because of your phone?" He asks, looking hesitant before asking me, "Iseul... Would you like me to buy you a new phone?"

"What?"

"Ten years is a long time to use a phone... Don't you think it's about time we get a new one?"

My heart pangs.

"Do you even know what day it is today, Dad? You of all people shouldn't be saying that. I'm not getting a new phone." I walk into my room without sparing him a glance, slamming it behind me.

"Iseul... I have to go back to the office. I'm leaving my card on the table so buy yourself something good. And about your phone... If you want to keep using it, you can do that. Sorry I haven't been in my right mind lately because it's been so busy." Happy birthday, Iseul." I hear the door click as he opens it, a quiet noise when he shuts it afterwards. I sit on my bed, my eyes tearing up with my phone and a picture of my mother on the bed.

'My birthday isn't important at all.'

I reach for the picture of my mother, pulling to my chest and hugging it lightly.

"I should've been more careful.. I'm sorry, Mom... Mom... I miss you..." I say, hugging it tighter.

*POP* 

My phone disappears from my grasp, smoke covering my eyesight as I look down with my eyes widened. There sat a boy about my age, underneath of me. He wore a black turtleneck and black pants, scratches all over his face. 

"I'm hungry." He nonchalantly said as I stared down at him.

--

Words: 572

a/n: Sorry for the short chapter, I just felt like this was a good stopping place.