chapter 12: stand with us

⋆。 ゚☁︎。 ⋆。 ゚☾ ゚。 ⋆

'Are you sure you want to do this?' Neteyam looked down at his younger brother, questioning him as he's making a big decision. 'If you do this you'll be viewed as a traitor too, you know that right?'

Lo'ak sighed, rolling his eyes slightly. 'This whole village already hates me anyways.'

'This is a big decision, Lo'ak. I don't know if you should do this.' Neteyam held onto his shoulders, shaking him slightly.

'We have no other choice, Neteyam. One way or another they will find her and kill her. Now we can prevent that.' Lo'ak told him, a determined look on his face.

'But the people—'

'To hell with the people! I have to do this.' Lo'ak didn't care about the Metkayina. They hated him anyways, a little more hate couldn't mind. This was something that he had to do. This island is small, they'd find her either way. So better to do it this way, even if he gets the title of traitor.

'Neteyam is right. Are you sure—' Na'veya stepped in, looking at Lo'ak.

'Just trust me, okay?' He held onto her arm, looking back at Neteyam.

જ⁀➴

Na'veya and Lo'ak were sitting in a tree— and no, this isn't the beginning of a nursery rhyme. They dangled their legs over the edge of the thick branch, sitting in utter silence. They were both thinking about his plan that they were going to execute later today. It was all they could think about in the moment. 'You know, the people here hate me too.' Lo'ak softly spoke, looking down.

Na'veya turned her head to meet his eyes, frowning as she tilted it to the side.

Lo'ak looked at her, sighing. 'They call me alien, say I have demon blood. You could say I am a trouble magnet, it follows me wherever I go. No matter how hard I try, I'll never be enough.'

Na'veya's eyes softened, putting one of her soft hands on his shoulder as she continued to vent.

'I try so hard to make my father proud, to be a great son like he deserves. But he doesn't see past Neteyam. I can't do anything right. Everything I do is wrong. I disappoint him every single day. But I've accepted it. No matter how hard I try, I'll never be enough.' He looked down again. 'The other kids view me as a freak too, I never really had friends outside of my family. I'm usually alone.'

'We can be alone together.' Lo'ak looked up at Na'veya, she had a caring expression on her face. Her eyebrows were relaxed as she looked into his eyes.

Lo'ak knew how she was alone too. Must feel terrible, not knowing if your mother is alive or not. And everybody hates her, like the whole planet does. So she didn't have anyone to turn to. She had experienced not talking to someone for years, not one single normal interaction with somebody. Until Lo'ak came around. It felt good to him.

જ⁀➴

'Are you really sure you want to do this? I don't think you deserve what comes after.' Na'veya looked at Lo'ak with a worried look in her eyes.

Lo'ak nodded, puffing up his chest. He was as certain as can be. His eyes were a little narrowed, focused if you will. He grabbed Na'veya's hand, intertwining their fingers. Na'veya gulped while she looked down at them before Lo'ak pulled her with him.

There they were, Lo'ak and the Devil hand in hand, walking down the beach. Lo'ak held his head high, showing dominance while Na'veya's face had a dark expression on it.

The horn sounded, warriors were rushing over as a flock of Na'vi already surrounded them. They were scared, screaming as Na'veya came into view.

The people had wielded their weapons as the clan leaders came forth as well as Lo'ak's parents.

'Lo'ak! Get away from her!' Neytiri yelled, a worried expression creeping up on her face. Aungia was standing right next to him. That was before she noticed the intertwined hands. Her eyes grew wide with disbelief in them.

'Lower your weapons!' Lo'ak demanded, trying to get the people to stop screaming. Of course they didn't listen.

'Why do you bring the Devil into our village?' Ronal yelled, hissing through gritted teeth as she slowly came closer. She was holding onto her spear tightly, her knuckles turning a slightly lighter color.

'She is not the Devil! If you had ever gotten to know her you would know this! She has a reason.' Lo'ak yelled back.

Neytiri hissed at him. 'Lo'ak, stop!'

Jake walked up to him, a furious expression showing on his face as he pulled his arm. But Lo'ak didn't let go of Na'veya. 'What do you think you're doing?' They could easily get banished for this. Lo'ak never thinks rationally.

'I am doing what's right.' He hissed at his father. 'Can everybody listen up?' Lo'ak yelled, making everybody quiet down. 'Her name is Na'veya, a girl from the Tipani clan. She is the server of justice, the one who kills traitors— people who help the Sky People, Dreamwalkers and Sky People. She does not kill for any other reason! She has been unrightfully given this name, this burden. If you actually let her explain, you would have known this! But you do not. You call her names, banish her from every part of the world and try to kill her. She is not what she seems like.' Lo'ak explained.

'She has brainwashed you!' Somebody yelled from the crowd.

'Look, she could've easily killed Aonung the other day. But she didn't, she only gave him a warning. It was a bit harsh, sure. But she hadn't had a normal Na'vi interaction for years. People are terribly afraid of her for nothing. Besides, she's an amazing warrior. She would be a great asset for fighting against they Sky People if needed. Everybody already fears her anyways.' Lo'ak spoke.

Tonowari's ears perked up, looking at the girl. She looked defeated, rubbing her arm while looking down. She was just a teenager. A lost one at that. He couldn't trust her? Of course he couldn't. But Lo'ak's words were true, she would be amazing for fighting against the Sky People. Not that they needed it right now, but it's just a "what if" situation.

He looked down at Ronal, she looked mad. Once her eyes made their way up to Tonowari's face, he showed her a look of compassion. See, there was this special thing between Ronal and Tonowari. They could understand each other without even having to talk. They eyes already told them everything they needed to know.

'The Sully boy is right.' Gasps could be heard all over as Na'veya's head shot up. 'She would be great in battle, we all know what she can do. She will stay with us for the time being. The girl will be under my protection, no one is to lay a finger on her. Nobody will suspect that we have Aungia standing with us.' Tonowari looked down at Ronal before looking at a shocked Na'veya. 'Come with me girl, I will show you your sleeping area.'

Na'veya glanced over at Lo'ak as he nodded. She gulped, slowly making her way over to the large Metkayina. The people stepped back once she walked forward, following the man.

This was going to be interesting.