Fox and Crow

That evening when Kurama returned from school, he couldn't find his counterpart Kurama— dubbed in his head as Crowama on the account of her being a princess of the Tengu (crow goblins.) For the first time in a long time, Kurama felt... Nervous. If he couldn't find her, she might be causing trouble for others or even herself.

Fortunately, his earthly parents were away on a business trip and he had his home to himself. He did not want Crowama ruining his cover as she could not hide her appearance like he could.

Kurama searched through every room in the house calling her name. "... Kurama?" It was odd to say his own name out of his mouth.

"Yes Suichi, dear?"

Thankfully, Crowama did not have the same problem. Kurama had told her about his human cover name and she had been calling him by it ever since.

Kurama stood in the doorway to his room. "Where are... You—?" He trailed off as Crowama suddenly appeared, wearing nothing but a towel. Immediately he covers his eyes with the crook of his arm and turns his head away. "What are you doing? You're not decent."

Crowama on the other hand, did not see a problem with this. "Well, we are to be married are we not?"

The demon sighed. He still couldn't believe he got himself into such a mess. "And until we are, it wouldn't be right." He might have been a demon but he wasn't a pervert.

Crowama groaned loudly, returning to the bathroom. "Alright, alright!"

Once Kurama heard the door shut, he uncovered his eyes. Living with Crowama this far has been... Interesting. They continued their comfortable routine of Kurama going to school and Crowama waiting at home. Without demons to fight, Kurama was almost living the life he always wanted to aside from a crow shaped wrench putting a dent in his plans.

He quickly learned that Crowama was vapid and shallow with a short temper to boot. Not to mention stubborn. He put up with her the best he could, being as patient as possible.

However, he has a soft spot for her.

He smiled softly to himself, seeing a lost black feather between his feet. Bending over to pick it up, Kurama reasoned that it came from her hair.

Soon Crowama returned, now wearing her usual laced up leather one piece. Quickly, Kurama pocketed the feather. "I'm bored," Crowama announced as she stepped up towards him. "I've been cooped up in here for weeks. I'm a crow, not a cuckoo bird!"

"I take it that you want to go out." Kurama remarks, staying as still as possible as she invaded his personal space and continues. "You know it's not safe for you out there."

Crowama frowns and crosses her arms in defeat, prompting Kurama to change his mind out of pity. "Tell you what," he says, reaching for her hand and uncrossing her arms. "When it's dark, I'll take you out on a walk." His eyes shone sincerely, his thumb caressing her knuckles reassuringly.

The princess broke into a smile. "Finally!" she exclaimed. "A date!"

"Right..." Kurama placed his other hand on his head. "A date.

★★★

By the time the sun has set, Kurama had taken his counterpart to the park for a nice stroll. They walked with locked arms, almost looking like a real couple.

Crowama thought they were a real couple at least.

Kurama was just helping her break a generational curse.

And providing for her a place to live.

With him.

Under the guise of a marriage.

I can see myself loving her, he thought as her looked over at the top of her head. She's just a handful. Kurama never expected a lot from romance in his life, seeing as he was a demon and all. But Crowama as an alien could relate to him a lot.

Before they left, he lent her some of his clothes to wear— he was not going to search through his mother's clothes. They were a bit baggy on her since she had a smaller frame, but she was content.

"Kurama," he started, still finding it off to say his own name in reference to her. "What do you expect from the future."

"A lot of offspring." she promptly answered without looking up.

Kurama could feel his ears heat up. "So you've mentioned before... But why?"

Crowama nestled her head into the crook of Kurama's neck. She chews the inner side of her cheek, considering this answer carefully. "My people..." She inhaled sharply before exhaling. "They're a dying species. It is my job as the princess to reproduce."

He did not expect that answer at all.

Kurama forced them to halt, still keeping his arm looped with hers. He got himself into quite the predicament, but he wasn't going to abandon her now. He craned his neck to kiss the top of her head, causing her to blush.

If Kurama expected little to no romance in his left, he never expected to start a family. However, he still desired to go slow.

Even though he didn't say anything in return, Crowama felt comforted by this gesture. She closes her eyes and smiled softly. In her book, she had won. Not only was Kurama handsome, he was kind as well.