Chapter 15 Time Is On My Side

Start from the beginning

'Hey, man, you're the one who's been all gung ho to hunt. I just thought I'd be doing you a favour,'

'Hey, no, no, no, no. I didn't say I didn't want to do it, okay. I mean obviously I want to hunt some zombies,'

'Okay, fine, whatever,'

Sam, Dean and Hermione are in the coroner's lab listening to the coroner.

'Yeah, the rest of the body was intact. The liver was the only organ missing,' The coroner explains.

'Now, where the liver was ripped out, did you happen to notice any...ah...teeth marks?' Dean asks.

The coroner gives them an "are you insane look". 'Can I see your badges?'

'Of course, sure,' Sam responds as they show the coroner their badges.

'Fine. So, you're cops and morons,'

'Excuse me? No, no. We're very smart,' Dean responds.

'The liver was not ripped out. It was removed. Surgically. By someone who knew their way around a scalpel. Didn't you read my report?'

'Of course we did. Oh, it was riveting. It was a real page-turner, just delightful,' Hermione puts a hand in front of her mouth to cover her smile. She didn't understand what it was these past days. At first she thought that Dean's jokes were silly and sometimes even annoying but for some reason these past days, even weeks she started to enjoy them.

'You done?' The coroner asks.

'I think so,'

'Please go away,'

'Okay,'

Sure,' Sam responds.

Sam is smiling when they walk through the hospital hallway.

'What?' Dean asks when he notices Sam's grin.

'Nothing. So, that kind of punches a hole in our zombie theory, huh, that scalpel thing?'

'Yeah, zombie with skills, "Dr. Quinn, medicine zombie",'

'What should we be looking for?' Hermione asks.

'Survivors. This isn't zombie lunch. This is organ theft,'

Sam, Dean and Hermione are standing in one of the survivors' hospital room. Hermione has her notebook out again ready to take notes.

'I told the cops all of this yesterday. I don't want to talk about it anymore,' The patient tells them.

'It's just a couple of questions, sir,' Sam tries.

'Hey, man. I just got my kidney stolen. I'm tired,'

'We'll be out of here quick. Don't you want to get the guy?' Dean asks.

'Will it get me back my kidney?'

'So what's the last thing you remember?' Hermione asks.

'Feeding my meter. I got jumped from behind...and then I woke up strapped to a table. And then the worst pain you could possibly imagine, only worse. And then I black out again. Thank God. And then wake up screaming in some no-tell motel in a bathtub full of ice,'

'Do you remember anything about the surgery—you know, what the guy looked like, any details about the room?' Dean asks.

'Let me think about that. Yeah...one thing is coming back to me. You know what I remember? Getting my kidney cut out of my body!' Hermione klicks her pen back in.

Sam, Dean and Hermione are sitting at the table in the motel room. Sam is using the laptop while Dean is happily eating a burger. Hermione would now and then takes a fry from his plate.