Chapter 43: Someone to Stay

Start from the beginning

'What a shame,' he thought. He laid in the nest of his arms and did not hide the fact that he was staring straight at her, 'I really wanted to see you win, (y/n)...'

There just wasn't enough time.

|—~•~—|

'I did it,' Maya thought and widely grinned at her accomplishment. Her little feet happily scampered towards the apartment complex.

The youngest of the (l/n) family skipped her trumpet lesson for the third time that week. She couldn't use the 'I'm sick' excuse again because the instructor might call her parents, so she opted to never show up in the first place. Maybe that'll be more convincing that she was 'sick'.

But no, she wasn't. Practice, concerts, everything was starting to get to her and music was no longer becoming fun. She couldn't even play with her friends after school since she has to go straight to music practice.

Then she started skipping. At first, she was nervous and didn't think her excuses will work, but it did. She did it once every couple of weeks, to once a week, and now she's pushing her limits to multiple days. It's not like more practice will do anything for her if she could easily sightread the score.

The only problem is that she's usually the first one home whenever she does miss out on her extracurriculars. She even had to walk back to the music school building and wait for (y/n) to pick her up, pretending that she went to her lessons earlier that day. It was just across the street, but her parents insisted having (y/n) walk her home. Currently, she's home whilst she watched TV in the living room for awhile until she glanced at her older sister's sketchbook peeking out from her backpack.

"Right! Nee-san's gift!" The little girl exclaimed in excitement, "I should surprise her. That way, she wouldn't have to worry about picking me up."

It was perfect! Not only would her sister not have to worry herself taking more time out of her day, she would also be surprised seeing the drawing. It was like feeding two birds with one stone— wait, was that the saying?

A blur of short (h/c) hair darted to the sketchbook before bee-lining it straight to the front door. She soon stopped when she reached the end of the street of her apartment.

'Wait,' she paused to think rationally for a second, 'Where's nee-san's school again?'

She used the train station before, but which route should she take? Then after that, where would she go from there?

"Shit, are we actually going through with this?" She heard a male voice asked in a distance and she looked up to see two teenaged boys heading her way.

"We're already here, so might as well," the other responded, "That woman said (l/n) (y/n) lives here. Number 143, right?"

Maya gasped in realization, 'They know nee-san?'

"Um, excuse me," Maya announced and the they turned and rose a quizzical brow at her, "Are you friends with (y/n)-nee?"

The young girl didn't notice, but the two formed a wicked grin. It seems as though the job will be easier than they thought.

"Yes, we are," one replied, "We just have to... give your sister some homework she missed. Is she home?"

"No, but you can come with me," Maya innocently smiled, "I need to give my sister back her sketchbook and I don't know where her school is. You're classmates with her, yeah?"

"Yep, definitely..." one said and eyed the sketchbook the girl was holding before glancing over to his friend with a knowing look.

"Yay!" She exclaimed, "Please lead the way, mister."