Chapter 16

I was at a cycle class when my phone buzzed from the small holder on the stationary bike. Intrigued I open my messages, it was Antoine or both his arms showing that the one that was broken was now out of the cast that was helping it heal.

Manon: Whoah is it supposed to be that swollen?
Antoine: Yeah thats all the fluid in my lymph nodes , I'm getting a massage to relive it in a bit.
Manon: Well enjoy, this cycle class is kicking my ass.

"Girl in the back less texting more moving, this isn't a social club." Says the instructor.
"Fuck off." I whisper under my breath.
I pedal as quick as I can trying to beat my previous record.

Later on, I grab a Starbucks before making my way to a potential client's house, to give them a quote for my services, I was sort of nervous. Suddenly my phone buzzes again, I assumed that it was Antoine again so gave it a quick glance.

Damian: Tell your boyfriend he can't play rugby just yet, he needs to take it slow.

I breathe deeply, 'client comes first', I think to myself before getting out of the car and walking up to the front door. The couple were lovely and treated their saint Bernard as though it where their child which made total sense considering the dog was the size of a six year old. I was relived when they told me that they'd be delighted to become a customer of mine. I thanked them for their time and the cup of tea.

I get back into my car and don't waste another moment texting Damian back.

Manon: Surely he should know when he's ready and know that he's not.
Damian: Well he came over to practise for his massage and his eyes got to big for his stomach. He's already got a strain.
Manon: I'll talk to him ,but I don't know if I'll get through to him.

I open up mine and Antoine's chat.
Manon: Babe take it easy.
Antoine: I'm fine I just over did it slightly today.
Manon: Just listen to your body.
Antoine: I'd rather listen to yours.
Manon: Behave

Even from the other side of the channel this man was making me feel like a giddy teen. I kiss my hand before placing it on my screen as cringey as that sounded it made me feel closer to him.

*
I was packing for mine and Ebony's week away in the south of France, As I was folding the last bits into my suitcase , I message Antoine to ask about the strain that had been giving him hassle.

Antoine: Currently on the sofa with an ice pack strapped to my calf. If it gets worse I might be off both teams for the season.

Manon: Well if you'd not rushed back onto the pitch you wouldn't be facing this predicament.

Antoine: Alright mon amour you where right. How's packing going.

I snickered at his quick change of subject.
Manon: I'm almost done, I'll be ready for tomorrow.
Antoine: Great see you then.

I played slow music as I make a simple meal; egg and avocado on toast with some hot honey over the top. I swear I was a chef in my past life because no one could match my cooking, ok maybe Clement could and more. My head filled with scenarios of how this week could plan out, I hoped that Antoine wouldn't be in too much pain.

The next day my 5AM alarm fills my ears I unreliably tapped at my phone screen until the sleep disturbing sound was thankfully silenced. I groggily get into some comfy clothes for the morning of traveling that was ahead. I move into the kitchen and flip the switch on the kettle before grabbing a plain Greek yogurt from the fridge. Once I was done with breakfast I splashed water from the sink on my face as a way to feel more refreshed.