Chapter - 3

Council Meeting

⊹•º·⊹

The Hall Of Affairs, Imperial Palace of Xuli, 1406

Riki hated council meetings. The old officials dictating the lives of their citizens were the bane of his existence. If he could, he would have wiped them all out. He merely gives curt nods to the ones that come to greet him and his brother, which considering Hyunjin's position, is quite a lot of them.

It isn't a surprise as Riki was known to be cold and distant with those he wasn't close with. And Riki disdained the officials. Naturally, he was more inclined to ignore them than entertain them with measly conversations.

"General Xīcūn, we heard about your sparring session with General Wen. You did well to defeat that old man. Heaven's know he needs to be knocked down a peg or two from his high horse!" One of the Officials claps a hand on his shoulder. Riki has to put in some effort to hold back his sneer at the audacity.

General Wen was a formidable warrior. The luxuries these old coots enjoyed were a gift from General Wen who protected their borders from invasion. General Wen sacrificed his own comfortable life, his family, and his lone son for the nation. If Gerenal Wen did not protect their borders, enemies would have ransacked the country and sucked them dry.

General Wen has every right to be proud of his work. Unlike these freeloaders, he worked for it. General Wen deserved to gloat about it. These officials did not.

"I thought upstanding individuals, such as yourself, thought mindless gossip to be below your station. One only suited for maidens. Was I wrong?" Riki raises a brow.

He does not miss the slight twitch of lips on the other's face. Riki internally scoffs at the man's poor attempt to disguise his anger.

Good, be angry. After all, dogs only know how to bark.

"Xīcūn, you should not be so hostile," his brother whispers beside him. Only for his ears. Riki rolls his eyes as he excuses himself to his seat.

The official watches him go with a tight smile before exhaling a deep sigh and addressing the Crown Prince. "Your Royal Highness, General Xīcūn is a man of pride. He will always disrespect those above him. In his eyes, he is the only one that is good. Do not bother with the likes of him, Your Highness."

Hyunjin replies, his tone clipped, and sharp, "My brother is very respectful to those who deserve it, My Lord. Besides, he knows his place quite well. Unlike people who let a mere court presence get to their heads. He is my brother, after all. Please take your seat and help yourself to the refreshments, elder Bao. His Majesty should be arriving soon."

Hyunjin bowed and turned on his heel to walk to his seat, leaving a fuming elder behind in his wake.

"Who is hostile now?" Riki murmurs to his brother which earns him a light laughter. Riki smiles.

"Attention, His Majesty, The Monarch of Xuli has arrived! Resume your places and bow to His Excellency!" The announcer calls from the entrance to the hall and everyone stands to greet the Emperor.

The King is a man in his mid-forties, his hair tied in a neat bun with a headpiece adorning his head. He has sharp cheekbones and glittery eyes. A feature that Riki is quite acquainted with through Yeji.

"Resume your seats, gentlemen." His voice is soft and polite. Riki and Hyunjin sit on the cushion cross-legged. As the prince and heir, Hyunjin was seated right beneath the throne. Riki is beside him.