7. Sore Bodies and Smoking Sessions

-Gilinsky's POV-

Panting, I finally stopped running and exhaustingly rested my hands on my sweaty legs, desperate to catch my breath.

I let my head hang downwards but almost immediately lifted it back up, disgusted at the smell of body odor I wore.

My calves felt like they were on fire, my entire upper body dripped with sweat, it felt like summer all over again; but not in a good way.

I really regret leaving my water bottle at home.

It's kinda funny though, considering the weather wasn't hot; in fact, the sun was hidden beneath the fairly thick layer of clouds, limiting its heat.

But I had been running since the basketball team started practice, nearly an hour and a half ago. I knew I should've stopped after they had their first break, but I'm too close to my record to just quit and go home.

Finally breathing normally, I watch as the large group of guys exit the gym, already done with practice.

The coach locks the doors to the locker room, the gate to the back parking lot, and in the corner of my eye, I can see the dude who cuts the grass for the football field.

Maybe it is time to go home. I felt like I deserved it.

I stood back up, stretched my sore body that was becoming weak and walked slowly, lightly limping at my cramping ankles and thighs that wanted to me to stop 4 laps ago, but I didn't listen.

After what seemed like 20 minutes I finally make it back to my dad's car, very thankful that he and his coworkers carpooled today.

I open the door of the driver's side and toss my belongings in the passenger's seat and climb in, moaning at the wonderful feeling of being able to finally sit down. The soft breeze from the ac vent blew softly and hit my sticky skin with a sensation as cold as ice.

As I pull out of the parking lot, I see someone waiting to cross the street, it's Jack and he's with some other guy I haven't met before. I roll my window down and wave at them.

"Howdy, partner."

"Hey, long time no see. What are you still doing here?" He questions, taking his earphones out. His friend waves at me awkwardly and stares everywhere but me.

"I stay here sometimes after school to run around the track. Are you heading home?" He nods. "Want a ride?" I offer, smiling at how he looks at me as if he expected me to say that.

"Uh, I kinda smell, do you care?"

"Kinda, but I smell too so it'd be hypocritical of me to not let you in. I'll keep the windows rolled down." He nods and I throw my stuff in the back and he comes to the other side and hops in. The dude behind him looks like he wants to say something, but I beat him to the chase.

"Yes, you can hop in too." I lightly laugh. He smiles and climbs in the back, sitting behind Jack, and sits there awfully quiet.

"I didn't know you had a car." Jack speaks, fanning himself with his shirt.

"It's not mine, it's my dad's."

"Your poor dad is gonna have to burn this car after we get out of it." He laughed, holding his fingers to his nose.

Johnson gave me directions to his house and thanked me when I pulled up to it. He actually lived pretty close to me, which surprised me.

"Hey, um...thank you...." Jack's friend says then pauses when he realizes he doesn't know my name.

"Jack. Like him." I nod my head towards the blonde kid who struggled opening the door with his thousands of keys.

"Right. Thanks for the ride, Jack. I'm Derek by the way." He nervously sticks his hand out. I friendly slap it and tell him and Jack bye again, making my way back to my house.