Chapter 4: A Bumpy Ride

Copia's footsteps echoed while he pushed Sister down the hospital corridor in her wheelchair, they were heading back to the Ministry. Sister had been in hospital for months, she couldn't wait to re-enter the Ministry and get back down to business. She had so many plans for Cardinal and the future of the unholy church, but Papa had his doubts about the Cardinal. They had spoken about it in great depth at the Ministry. Sister and Papa always had disagreements when it came to the Cardinal, it always ended up in an argument. Copia always felt like a child between two bickering parents when his future at the church came up in conversations, he was being to doubt himself too sometimes.

Papa Nihil was walking not far behind Cardinal and Sister, he had become more dependent on his walking stick lately. Copia had visited Sister a couple of times with Papa over the last few weeks, he had enjoyed spending time with the old guy. One visit to the hospital hadn't gone to plan though, there had been an incident involving an elevator. The front of Papa's papal robe had gotten caught between the elevator's sliding doors and ripped to his crotch area, he had forgotten to wear underwear that day. The sight that greeted a few of the nurses on the second floor had been frightful to say the least, many of the nurses had screamed. Copia had panicked and pressed every button on the elevator pad while he tried to hide Papa's dignity with his biretta, they both agreed to never tell Sister about it. After that incident Copia wasn't allowed escort Papa to the hospital anymore, he had to remain at the Ministry until Sister had asked him to use one of the clergy cars to pick them up. He had jumped at the chance to collected her from the hospital, he had missed Sister dearly.

Copia wheeled Sister into another corridor, he was fighting the urge not to do anything reckless with the wheelchair. His fingers wrapping tightly around the handles he was tempted to go fast, but he didn't want to hurt anyone. He had to remember that the wheelchair wasn't his tricycle. Copia kept his gaze on the corridor ahead of him, but something shiny soon caught his attention. There was a vending machine at the end of the corridor, he had brought Venchi chocolate bars from it for Sister the last time he had been allowed to visit the hospital. His gaze remained fixed on the vending machine while he kept walking, but his thoughts were soon interrupted by a crashing sound. He jerked forward and the wheelchair came to a halt, there had been a collision with the trash can. He immediately checked on Sister, she seemed okay but he soon heard Papa yelling at him.

" Cardinal, watch where you are going!" Papa yelled.

" Sorry, sorry..." Copia apologised while he touched Sister's arm. " Are you okay, Sister?"

" I'm fine, don't worry." She replied.

" Are you sure?" Copia asked

" I'm very sure, Cardi." She replied before she lovingly touched his hand. " There's no harm done, it's okay."

" That's good, very good." Copia said.

Sister smiled at Copia and squeezed his hand before she let go of it, she reassured him that she wasn't hurt. He was happy to hear she was fine, but he soon noticed Papa giving him one of his disapproving looks. He sighed to himself while he took control of the wheelchair once again, he pulled it back and steered it away from the trash can before he continued pushing Sister down the corridor with Papa Nihil following closely behind them.

" Oh, Cardinal." Sister said before she looked at him over her shoulder. " Which car did you choose to drive?"

" The Fiat Dino Coupé." Copia replied, he leaned forward slightly and continued speaking with her. " I parked it just outside of the hospital, we don't have far to go. We will be home before we know it, I arranged a little somethin' somethin' for you at the Ministry."

" Oh, how thoughtful." She smiled.

" Cardinal, did you drive the red car?" Papa asked.

" Yes, the red car." Copia replied.