Tourney Preparations & Questions

Start from the beginning

"And Jon Arryn turned him down too, clearly because he also didn't trust him. I will not let that man anywhere near the Small Council. My decision is final."

"I have to agree with Lord Stark on this matter. This Master of Trade position is unnecessary for the management of the kingdoms. Lord Baelish can easily shoulder all of those responsibilities as Master of Coin. Plus, I agree that Lord Groatworth shouldn't be allowed back on the Small Council. I don't trust him either." Eyron added.

There was a brief pause.

"Now, if there is nothing else, this meeting is concluded." Lord Stark said.

All of them left, but considering his age, it was taking Pycelle considerably longer.

"This heat. On days like this, I envy you northerners your summer snows. Until tomorrow my Lord." He said.

"I've been hoping to talk to you about Jon Arryn."

"Lord Arryn? His death was a great sadness to all of us. I took personal charge of his care, but I could not save him. His sickness struck him very hard and very fast. I saw him in my chambers just the night before he passed. Lord Jon often came to me for counsel."

"Why?"

"I have been Grand Maester for many years. Kings and Hands have come to me for advice since..."

"What did Jon want the night before he died?"

"He came inquiring after a book."

"A book? What book?"

"I fear it would be of little interest to you, my Lord. A ponderous tome."

"I'd like to read it."

"The lineages and histories of the great houses of the Seven Kingdoms, with descriptions of many high lords and noble ladies and their children." He said, pulling out a large book handing it to Lord Stark, who opened it.

"Harkon Umber, first of his name, born to lord Hother Umber and lady Amaryllis Umber in the 183rd year after Aegon's landing, at the last hearth. Blue of eye, brown of hair and fair complected, died in his 14th year of a wound sustained in a bear hunt."

"As I said, my Lord, a ponderous read."

"Did Jon Arryn tell you what he wanted with it?"

"He did not, my Lord. And I did not presume to ask."

"Jon's death..."

"Such a tragedy."

"Did he say anything to you during his final hours?"

"Nothing of import, my Lord. There was one phrase he kept repeating: "The seed is strong," I think it was. Followed by 'Only one'."

" 'The seed is strong'? What does that mean?"

"The dying mind is a demented mind, Lord Stark. For all the weight they're given, last words are usually as significant as first words."

"And you're quite certain he died of a natural illness?"

"What else could it be?"

"Poison."

"A disturbing thought. I don't think it likely. The Hand was loved by all. What sort of man would dare..."

"I've heard it said that poison is a woman's weapon."

"Yes. Women, cravens... and eunuchs. Did you know that lord Varys is a eunuch?"

"Everybody knows that." Lord Stark replied, silently wondering why the man was quick to throw his fellow advisor to the wolves. No pun intended.

"Of course. How that sort of person found himself on the King's Council, I will nevr know."