Chapter 25- The Library

Börja om från början

The bartender uses two swords to slice a bowl from a large chunk of ice. He cuts down some mangos from the overhanging fruit and dices them up. He chops up a piece of fruit and pours a jug of milk into the bowl, still using the swords. He throws a decorative umbrella and straw into the bowl and serves it to the man in front of him, who gives the bartender a coin.

"I don't see anything wrong with having one of those fruity beverages while we plan our strategy." Sokka grabs my hand as we run up to the bartender.

A man bumps into Aang and spills his drink onto the airbender. "No worries, I clean up easy." Aang airbends the drink off of his clothes.

The man gasps, holding onto his hat. "You're a living relic."

"Thanks," Aang shrugs, "I try."

"An Air Nomad, right in front of me. Professor Zei, head of anthropology at Ba Sing Se University." He grabs Aang's arm and points at his arrow tattoo. "Tell me, which of the air temples do you hail from?"

"The Southern Temple."

Sokka nudges me as he hands me an icy bowl full of the smoothie. I thank him and take a sip of the drink.

Professor Zei measures Aang's head with a pair of calipers and speaks excitedly. "Oh, splendid! Now tell me what was the primary agricultural product of your people?"

"Uh, are fruit pies an agricultural product?" Aang nervously answers.

"Oh, truly fascinating. That is one for the journal."

While Sokka speaks, Zei writes in his journal. "So Professor, you're obviously a well-traveled guy. Do you have a more current map? Ours seems to be a little dated."

"Certainly." Professor Zei, goes through his bag, taking out a map and handing it to Sokka.

Sokka unrolls the map on a table and examines. Toph sips her drink and props her legs on another chair.

"What, no Fire Nation?" Sokka straightened his back. "Doesn't anybody have a good map of that place?"

Katara examines the map. "You've made a lot of trips into the desert."

"All in vain, I'm afraid. I've found lost civilizations all over the Earth Kingdom," Zei raises his fist slightly. "but I haven't managed to find the crown jewel: Wan Shi Tong's Library."

Toph laying down. Her feet are up showing her dirt-stained soles. "You spent years walking through the desert to find some guy's library?"

"This library is more valuable than gold, little lady. It is said to contain a vast collection of knowledge, and knowledge is priceless."

Toph hums sarcastically. "Sounds like good times."

"Oh, it is. According to legend, it was built by the great Knowledge Spirit, Wan Shi Tong, with the help of his foxy knowledge seekers."

"Oh," Sokka smirks intrigued. "So, this spirit has attractive assistants, huh?"

I put my hand on the side of Sokka's face to stop him from talking. "I think he means they look like actual foxes, Sokka."

"You're both right." Sokka and I turn to the professor in surprise. "Handsome little creatures." He takes out a drawing of the library and places it on the table. "Wan Shi Tong and his knowledge seekers collected books from all over the world, and put them on display for mankind to read, so that we might better ourselves."

"If this place has books from all over the world," Aang walks over to look at the maps while he sips his drink. "Do you think they've got info on the Fire Nation? A map, maybe?"