𝖝𝖛. Blue and Green

Start from the beginning

But she noticed how they all came together when shit went down: when they found Will Byers crying and shaking behind a house, Mike took charge, and none of them did anything to stop that because everyone knew their place, and when it went silent, they all argued with their eyes, speaking to each other without having to say a word.

There are a lot of things they do that Max pays attention to.

And it isn't just the boys; it's also Rue Newby.

There are a lot of things about Rue Newby that Max has noticed. And there are things she doesn't call attention to.

Rue always carries a Walkman. It's a sad old thing where the labels on the buttons were just about rubbing off from how many times they'd been pressed. It's decorated with gemstones and sparkly stars and planet stickers, and honestly, Max thinks it looks stupid, like it was owned by a five-year-old. It doesn't bother her -- she just finds it odd. Max doesn't own a Walkman herself, but she had a friend in San Diego who did; she remembers buying dozens of cassettes with him. He never used it every day, though. Max wonders if Rue probably slept with it.

For someone who loves to cook and bake, Rue barely eats. Max always thought that if she was good enough in the kitchen-- if she made a recipe off the top of her head and it turned out to be the best meal she'd ever eaten-- she'd never stop eating, growing so fat that she'd have to roll around to get places. Rue sometimes eats a couple of fruits (strawberries, kiwis, and cherries are her favourites) unless she's splitting a cafeteria cookie with Lucas or Lilah. Other than that, she doesn't eat a lot, maybe a few bites of her food until she offers the rest to Will who takes it happily.

Rue loves being held. Whenever an arm is around her, she leans into it; as if she were a flower turning towards the sun in the morning. Lucas loves throwing his arm over her shoulder; he loves staying close to Rue; a moth to a flame. Rue doesn't seem to mind it, in fact, Max is sure Rue loves it as much as Lucas does. That Halloween night, when the three of them walked home, Max noticed how Rue lingered close to Lucas's side and leaned her head on his shoulder once his arm was around her. How they hugged at his doorstep. Rue can never turn down a warm embrace - it makes her feel loved. Max knows that.

But then, there are other things that she does call attention to. She can't help but call attention because it's like someone breathing down her neck.

Like Rue being so gentle. Max thinks of her as a flower, a delicate thing that can wilt at any given moment; too much water, too much sun, not enough water, not enough sun. It's like walking on eggshells; one wrong move, and suddenly everything is ruined. Max tried to be softer, she tried to be nice; but holy shit, Rue Newby has got to be the most sensitive person Max has ever met in her entire life.

Right now, still dressed in her Scooby Doo costume, Rue's chewing on her lower lip to stop herself from crying. She's turned away from Max, dragging her candy bag on the sidewalk as she leads the way home, quick with her steps so Max wouldn't see her cry.

It didn't take a genius to know that Mike Wheeler had no idea how to talk to girls, especially a girl like Rue. Max never wanted to be caught in the middle of their catfight, but it was Rue who insisted on following Will back to Mike's house; it was Rue who promised Max that it would take five minutes or less. But the moment the two of them stepped into the basement, Mike Wheeler just about exploded, as if he were at his final straw, and the sight of them drove him to the edge.

He swore and cursed, pointed his finger, and shoved Rue's shoulders, yelling until his face got so red they couldn't see his freckles. And Rue shoved back and yelled back at him. Will Byers had to step between them. But everything had already been said by then, and Mike had already sworn that Will's life and everyone else's would be so much better if Rue never stepped foot into it.