𝖛𝖎. The Party's Agenda

chapter six
the party's agenda

🎧

  Rue's never felt so alone before. There was some dull emptiness in her chest that she wished she could get rid of. Rue felt guilty for feeling alone, she felt stupid, and she beat herself up for it. She shouldn't feel alone, not when she was surrounded by four boys who let her join their friend group for the day.

She couldn't help it, though. And she guessed the feeling of loneliness wasn't just something that she could control or put at bay no matter how many people she had around her. She felt hollow, an empty cage, a mockery of what's meant to be human.

The chatter once surrounding her became nothing but mere static. Rue felt like the room was only blurring away.

Rue wondered why she felt this way all of a sudden. She was fine minutes ago. But she didn't feel that buzz of laughter anymore. Rue couldn't feel anything but a dark void growing in her chest.

Her eyes began to burn, and Rue realized she hadn't blinked. Then, she realized she had been holding her breath also.

It wasn't until there was a soft hand on her shoulder that Rue finally sucked in the breath her lungs were begging for. The simple gesture had snapped Rue back to reality like a rubber band. It stung, and dare she say it hurt because that sense of loneliness only grew.

Green eyes met with blue ones, and Rue watched as Dustin Henderson's mouth moved. He was saying something—she couldn't hear it, though. But he was worried, cautious as his eyebrows knitted themselves together once he had stopped talking.

Dustin Henderson's confusion caused Rue's mouth to run dry, and hurry to stand, letting his hand fall from her shoulder.

She felt dizzy as she stood, and Rue brought her hand up to cup her nose and mouth as she muttered apologetically. "Bathroom," was all she found herself able to squeak out.