Chapter 10

Chapter 10

Lavenders in the Morning

"Doc, kakain kami ng breakfast. Gusto n'yo sumama?" tanong ni Dr. Ocampo pagkatapos ng shift nila.

Nicco smiled, shaking his head. "Kayo na lang muna. Sabay ako sa susunod."

"Sige, Doc! Ingat po pauwi."

"Thank you. Kayo rin."

Nicco went straight to his car after changing his clothes and fixing his things. He turned the ignition on, driving straight home.

Dati humihinto pa siya sa coffee shop para bumili ng hot chocolate at Danish bread para sa quick breakfast niya. He'd either eat it at the coffee shop or in his car before he drives home. He'd be too tired and too hungry, he doesn't want to fill up too much so he could go straight to bed after a quick shower.

But it's been three days and he was consistently coming home to the scent of lavenders.

And it would instantly calm him the moment it registers in his senses. He's not quite sure if Francine was doing it on purpose but it helps a lot in relieving some tension in his muscles and the invisible weight seemingly hanging on his shoulders disappears, too.

It was so easy for him to relax and loosen up for the past couple of days and he'd always come home to a home-cooked breakfast.

It was something he looked forward to.

"Good morning!"

Just like right now.

Francine greeted her with a smile painted on her lips when she opened the door for him. He could smell the butter and pancakes, hot chocolate, and hints of lavender lingering in the air.

It was warm and welcoming and relaxing. He forgot the last time he was excited about going home.

Dati uwing-uwi siya dahil gusto na niyang matulog at sumalampak sa kama dala ng pagod. But this time, it was different.

Maybe it's the home-cooked breakfast and the hot chocolate drink she makes for him with little marshmallows she put in it, or the lavenders, or the company.

Or everything.

But after a long time, it was nice coming back home again.

"Sakto uwi mo, katatapos lang maluto ng rice. Kain na ba tayo or mag-clean up ka muna?" tanong ni Francine.

"Maliligo lang muna ako saglit."

"Okay." She nodded. "Wash ko na lang muna 'tong mga pan."

"Sige . . . "

He didn't mean to linger. But it's been three days ever since she began staying with him and they already established a routine.

He'd clean himself first before joining her for breakfast. Si Francine ang magluluto tapos siya naman ang maghuhugas ng pinagkainan nilang dalawa.

He would clean her wound after that, changing the gauze and sealing everything with a waterproof dressing so she wouldn't struggle and worry about it much when she's taking a bath.

Saka naman siya matutulog pagkatapos no'n. And when he wakes up somewhere past 4 in the afternoon, Francine had already prepared some merienda for the both of them.

"Nicco?"

"Hmm?"

They were both busy eating breakfast when she called for him.

"Naisip ko kasi na okay naman na ako and I already know how to treat my wound kasi pinanonood din kita kapag nililinisan mo. Also, baka abala na rin ako sa 'yo dito kaya—"

"Hindi naman abala," Nicco interrupted.

"Kahit na. You won't let me share sa expenses din."

"Ayos lang naman."

Umiling si Francine. "It's not fine for me. Ayaw ko maging freeloader dito."

"Ha? Hindi ka naman freeloader dito. Hindi ka nga dapat nagluluto ng pagkain at naglilinis pero ginagawa mo. Dapat nagpapahinga ka lang din kasi bagong opera ka. Buti hindi bumubuka tahi mo kahit kumikilos ka dito."

A few seconds of silence lingered in the air. Nicco was busy eating his pancakes but he could feel her eyes on him.

"Are you . . . mad?"

Napahinto siya. "Mad? Hindi. Bakit naman ako magagalit?"

"Kasi ang pasaway kong patient? Pero nakakahiya kasi if hindi ako kikilos dito. At least I could cook something simple. Pati na rin sa chores. Hindi naman mahirap mag-vacuum and maghugas ng plates. Pagod ka na nga sa ospital tapos pag-uwi mo dito may patient ka pa rin na aalagaan."

"Kaya ba gusto mo na umuwi? Kasi nahihiya ka?"

Francine sighed. "Yes, somehow. Para hindi na rin ako inconvenience sa 'yo."

"Hindi ka naman inconvenience."

"Promise? Feeling ko kasi talaga ang laki kong abala sa part mo imbis na nagpapahinga ka na agad pagkauwi mo dito. It's like I'm an extension of your work."

"Hindi. Sa'n mo naman nakuha 'yan."

"Naisip ko lang."

"Hindi ka abala."

"Promise?"

"Promise."

A faint smile crossed her lips. Nag-angat ng tingin si Nicco sa kanya. While Francine was just staring at her plate.

"Baka mamaya sinasabi mo lang 'yan, Nicco."

"Natutuwa nga ako umuwi, e," he said, mumbling.

"Ano 'yon?"

"Sabi ko natutuwa ako umuwi."

"Ha? Why?"

Nicco shrugged his shoulders. "Kasi nandito ka saka may nakakausap ako."

"Really? You're happy to come home because I'm . . . here?"

Mali ba sinabi ko? isip-isip ni Nicco. But that was the truth. She was never an inconvenience.

"Oo," he answered plainly.

"And you like talking to me?"

"Oo."

"Is that true?" she asked.

He nodded.

"Kahit most of the time tinatanong ko ano meaning no'ng word na sinasabi mo kasi hindi ko gets?"

"Oo."

"I see . . . "

He noticed how she paused for a while, bringing her attention back to her plate. She was fiddling with butter beside her pancake.

He watched her seemingly confused and thinking inside her head. And he couldn't help but think that maybe, she didn't believe anything he said even if it's true.

"Two days nang toxic duty namin sa ospital," he said.

"Hmm?"

"Sunod-sunod surgery at post-ops ko. Nakakapagod. Halos hindi na ako makaupo para magpahinga saglit. Drained na rin ako sa trabaho," dagdag ni Nicco.

"That's why I told you na uuwi na lang ako kasi patient mo—"

"Excited akong umuwi," he said, cutting her off.

"What?"

"Hindi ko alam pero excited akong umuwi."

"Maybe because makakapagpahinga ka na?" she asked unassumingly.

Hindi, he initially answered on his mind. Yet, within the split second he also realized that she was right.

Nicco smiled, nodding in agreement.

"Oo. Pahinga."