❀ | Chapter I: Flowers, Flirts and Fears | ❀

Start from the beginning

     "Why, this, my dear." He took one of the blue roses he clipped off its stem and gave it to his wife. "There! Now that a Kansas rose has an Ozian rose, there is complete harmony in our garden."

     This sweet compliment had the opposite effect on his wife than he had intended. The queen was reminded of a responsibility that she had tried to ignore for as long as possible. She said nothing, but the king could tell that his words bothered her.

     "I reminded you of the dragon, didn't I?" Scarecrow frowned and held her hand. "I apologize, sweetheart. I should have thought my words through better. The word 'harmony' definitely shouldn't have been used..."

     "Don't worry, hun. I've known you long enough to know that you only have the best intentions." Dorothy gave him a small smile, which wasn't enough to alleviate her husband's concern.

     Scarecrow sighed and let go of his wife's hand. He went to sit on a marble bench in the middle of the garden, gesturing for her to come and sit next to him. Dorothy obliged and sat beside him, knowing she had failed to conceal her emotions.

     "I love you very much, Dorothy. You can tell me what's wrong, even if it is going to make me upset." He reassured, running his gloved fingers through her hair. "I only want to know if you feel comfortable telling me. I want to help make you feel better."

     Dorothy looked at him. She had to admit it to him, even if it was difficult. "I'm scared..."

     "Scared about what?" Scarecrow asked, trying to comfort her by staying calm. "Being queen and fighting the dragon?"

     His wife nodded sadly. "I'm worried something bad will happen to me..." Dorothy laid her head on his shoulder.

     "Oh, darling..." He gently hugged her and kissed her on the forehead. "If something does happen, I will never forgive Glinda, Locasta, or the goddesses for letting you get hurt."

     Dorothy smiled at him and then closed her eyes. "One thing I know for sure is that I'll miss you. Doing this for you makes it all more bearable."

     "I'm a very lucky king to have you as my queen. I couldn't have asked for anyone better to rule with." Scarecrow smiled lovingly at her and then watched the sunset over their country. "Regardless of what happens tomorrow, I want you to remember that you will always be the love of my life and my hero!"

     "Aww, that's so sweet, Stitches!" Dorothy said before kissing her husband right on the lips, flustering him.

     "You can't catch me off guard like that without consequences, Dor." Crow winked at her and kissed her back. "I love you so much that I hope you don't forget it!"

     Dorothy playfully gasped. "Oh, I would have to be the dumbest person in the world to forget your love, hun! I would rather give up blueberry pie for the rest of my life than give up our love, you know that."

     "Love is kind of like a freshly-baked pie, and it is one of the best way to show my love for you." Scarecrow was flirting with her yet again. "When you come home from fighting the dragon, I'll have dinner and dessert ready personally. The cooks need a day off anyways, and my farm girl needs to be taken care of, if she wishes it..." He winked at her again, making Dorothy blush profusely.

     "I—I...Oh!" She looked at her husband and sighed in defeat. "Alright, you win the flirt battle for today, but tonight I'm going to win!"

     "We'll see, Kansas. I am going to be extra lovey-dovey tonight, so it will be difficult." He smiled mischievously at his wife and noticed how dark it was outside. "I think we should go back inside before Jellia starts wondering where we are."

     "Well, I'm always up for a challenge!" Dorothy replied with a smile similar to his and then nodded. "Of course, Crow. Even though you can't feel it right now, it's getting a little cold too. I wouldn't want you to catch a cold."

     "Oh, I'll be fine, my dear. We can go through the side door into the dining room and wait on our friends there. Though, I do think we need to clean ourselves up first." Scarecrow thought, standing up, but then he smiled flirtatiously. "The last thing I want is to not look at your beautiful self before you leave. We both know this might be the last night we get to spend together for weeks or even months."

     As they began to walk towards the palace arm-in-arm, Dorothy didn't let her husband have the last flirt. "We both also know who the strong and sassy one is in this relationship too." She winked at him.

     "Okay, you beautiful woman, inside with you!" Crow responded playfully, walking through the door and beckoning her to come inside. "No more fooling around. We need to get ready!"

     "Understood, your Majesty!" Dorothy laughed and kissed him on the cheek. "I will always find you attractive though, even when you have dirt and soot all over your face."

     "Well, I know that's true because your cheeks become as red as a cherry when you look at me sometimes!"

     Dorothy didn't know what else to say except to step through the door into the dining room and then up to their room to get ready. Not another word was spoken between them as they walked up the grand staircase and long hallways. She sat at the desk in their room and took a little book out of her satchel with her gardening tools.

     The queen dipped her glass pen in black ink and changed the tally yet again.

     "He may have won this time, but I will win at dinner tonight

     "He may have won this time, but I will win at dinner tonight..." She mumbled competitively under her breath.

     "Did you say something, hun?" Crow asked, poking his now human head around the bathroom door.

     "Oh, nothing, dear. I was just talking to myself." Dorothy replied, smirking playfully.

     "I know you don't just talk to yourself, Kansas." Scarecrow remarked, smiling back in the same manner. "I'm smarter than I look, you know."

    "Smarter and stronger." She winked at him, and he quickly moved his head back into the bathroom in an attempt to hide his blushing face from her.