The little things

Start from the beginning

I sighed heavily and put my hands on my knees, pushing myself up off of the rock I was sitting on so I could go to bed too.

"Well, that was eventful." I said in a slightly awkward tone as the two of us began to walk towards our tent.

"That's one way of putting it." Din said in slight amusement.

"You handled it well, though." I said lightly as I stepped towards our tent. The Tuskens had only had two to give to us, and I'd be damned if I shared a tent with Cobb Vanth.

"Thanks." Din said as he pushed open the flap of the tent and held it open for me. I smiled gratefully at him as I walked into the tent.

I looked around once I had stepped inside. It wasn't terribly big, but it wasn't unbearably small either. They would manage for the night.

The flap shut as Din stepped in and tied it shut behind him. I sat down on the floor beside my bag and began to rummage through it. My hand passed over a packet of rations which suddenly reminded me that Din hadn't eaten anything today.

I pulled it out of my bag and looked over at him as he placed the child on a makeshift bed. I pondered on how I should approach this situation. Should I leave the tent? Turn around? Wear a blind fold? Usually we don't have this problem on the crest.

As soon as the child's head hit his pillow, he fell asleep. It was honestly amazing how fast that kid could fall asleep, especially when sometimes he couldn't sleep and kept us both up throughout the night.

Din shuffled around the tent as he made up makeshift beds for the both of us. I watched him intently as I hesitated, trying to think of what to say.

"Din?" I finally spoke up. He turned around to face me with his helmet tilted

"Yeah?" He asked

"You need to eat." I stated as I held the food up for him to see.

He shook his head and turned back to the makeshift bed. "I'm fine. Besides, I'm too exposed here."

I sighed as I tried to think of a solution. "You haven't eaten all day."

I glanced around the tent in thought before I had an idea. "Wait." I muttered as I dragged my bag towards me. I could feel Don's eyes boring into me as I rummaged through my bag again.

"What are you doing?" He asked me in confusion

I pulled out an old top and showed it to him. He tilted his head further to show me that he was confused. I laughed lightly as I brought my left leg up and pulled my vibroblade out of my boot. I held it up to the material and carefully ran my knife along the shirt. I created a thick strip of black fabric.

I then turned around and patted the place on the floor behind me. "Come, sit."

I faced the tents entrance as Din walked towards me and sat down with his back to me. His back pressed up against mine and I felt grateful that he had taken his jet pack off first.

"I can put this over my eyes, or I can keep watch for you. Your call." I said gently to him as I handed him some food over my shoulder.

"You can keep watch. Thank you." Din replied. I could hear the gratitude in his voice.

"No problem." I said with a small smile. I felt almost proud of myself for my quick thinking.

I heard a thud beside us and realised that he had taken his helmet off. I tensed and kept my eyes trained on the tent entrance. Willing myself to not turn my head even an inch. I wanted him to know that he can trust me to keep watch like this.