"Other than she's a picky eater with fruits and vegetables, she'll eat anything you give her," Stella said, and pointed out pizza was her favorite. "Has she annoyed you with her boyfriend yet?"

As soon as her mother said it, color filled her cheeks and discomfort spread across the kid's face, which she buried into the floor.

"Uh, are you referring to...?" Ben searched his memory bank of the guy Kimmy was watching earlier.

Before he could say more, Stella said it. "She's obsessed with him. She watches him more than her cartoons."

If it was possible to dig herself into the floor, that's how Kimmy looked, practically.

He smiled at the sight. Nine was the age kids usually developed crushes, right? "She was watching him all afternoon until we had our quiet hour." Ben explained what that was to Stella, who told him good luck. Kimmy wasn't fond of anything to do with school or homework. "Has she gotten any kind of extra help?"

"She won't speak up to ask for help," Stella said, as if she was annoyed.

"Well, while Kimmy's with us, we can try to help with that." Ben then reassured he and Kayla knew how important keeping the line of communication open and Stella could call them any time she had a question about anything or wanted to see how her daughter was doing and they'll send pictures when they can, including the one he just took with Kimmy cuddling with their dog, which he gave his condolences for the loss of theirs.

Stella thanked him, and not just for the condolences. "Nice to see someone isn't an asshole."

Ben glanced over at Kimmy, who was sitting up again, picking at a loose thread in the carpet. "There will be no judgment towards anyone," he said to keep the conversation lighthearted. "We're all doing the best we can with the current circumstances."

But Stella continued to push judgment, which Ben said he would have to hang up if she continued comments like that in front of her young daughter. She backed off. He then turned to see if to give Kimmy another chance to tell her mom anything, but again, with him there, no words came.

Ben assured, they'll give her time and said good night for now and let Stella say good night to Kimmy.

After the call, he asked if Kimmy took showers or baths, and showed her where the towels and washcloths were in the linen closet and let her be so Kimmy can get ready for bed and let her know he would go put her tablet on the charger for her.

Everyone else got ready for bed as well. Claudia and Kimmy shared the hallway bathroom, since Mary and Miguel had their own.

When Ben poked his head in to say good night, he asked if Kimmy had a toy to sleep with and if she wanted one. She showed him a plush of a life-like rabbit laying on the bed.

Asking for permission first, Ben sat on the edge of the bed. "We're just across the hallway if you need anything. Don't be afraid to wake us, okay?"

She nodded.

"If you want a drink of water during the night, you are welcome to go downstairs. Same if you need a midnight snack. The kitchen is always open unless there is a name on it. The only thing is no electronics after bedtime. Fair?"

Before Kimmy could answer, Claudia spoke up from a book she had to read for school. "No."

Ben stifled a sigh. They have already had several arguments with Claudia not agreeing with the "no electronics after bedtime" rule.

He turned back to Kimmy. "We don't do this to be mean. We're just trying to help make healthy habits, especially when it comes to screen time." Ben also pointed out he grew up while TV, computers, and video games were widely becoming dominant in almost every household.