CHAPTER 34 - A HAUNTED MIND

Start from the beginning

He was the last thing on her mind, when she was always the first on his.

"Don't worry," Lucius says. "You couldn't have made it any more clearer."

She stands from her bed, opening her arms and Lucius stares at her before reluctantly handing over their son. She holds him tightly, watching Lucius as she waits for him to leave. He sighs, leaving the room and closing the door behind him.

Sarah stares at the closed door, hating herself for what she had done.

She never wanted to hurt him, she never wanted to hurt anyone. But lately, he had been... closer to her.

He was starting to become caring, and concerned. And Sarah noticed the way he would always stare at her whenever she wasn't looking, or how he would save her seat next to him at the table. Even after they had argued and she went into labour, he had rushed to her side, holding her hand.

She knew she had broke his heart when she didn't allow him to be in the birthing room. But she couldn't do it. She couldn't allow him to be this close to her at all times... and then risk having feelings for him.

She didn't know how Lucius felt, but she had slowly started to hate her husband a little less, with every passing day.

And this scared her.

Shutting herself off was the easiest thing to do, even if she was hurting someone she cared about.

She looks down at her baby in her arms, settling down in the bed and pulling up her top to feed him. He sucks on her nipple hungrily, his big blue eyes watching her every move. She smiles as she realises how much he looked like Lucius.

Maybe this baby would be the one to save her, she thought.

Maybe.

* * *

Lucius swings open the manor doors, slamming them shut behind him as he walks in. His fury radiates all around him, his cheeks flushed red in anger.

"Millie!" He yells, and the little elf rushes through the kitchen doors, into the foyer. She immediately senses his anger, cowering before him as she whimpers, "Y-yes Master?"

He takes off his coat, throwing it aside.

"Go to Sarah," he says, his teeth gritted as he breathes heavily. "Watch over her for the night."

She nods, immediately apparating and leaving Lucius alone in the house. He walks through to the next room, lifts up his sleeves and sits down on a nearby sofa, peering at his dark mark.

He thinks about Sarah and how angry she had made him. And yet, he still couldn't bare to leave her and his children there alone, knowing the risks he was taking.

Theo could come back, taking Sarah and the baby.

Her father was killed by a death eater for not being a follower, and neither was she. She was in just as much danger of being attacked as he was.

Even if she wouldn't allow him to protect her, he would still try, with all his power. And if she didn't want him near, then Millie was the next best option.

He sighs, leaning back into the sofa as he presses his fingers to his forehead, feeling drained. His mind was whirring with thoughts.

Or one thought in particular.

He yells in frustration, grabbing a nearby vase off the table and hauling it across the room. It smashes into a million pieces, scattered generously on the floor.