This Is 2114

Leaning backwards on to a tree, I smile to myself, "Scribbler Moon" by Margaret Atwood in my lap, open on the first page, clean and crisp straight from the Future Library, the anthology of books my mother said were written ten decades ago by several skilled authors, who dreamed of a future library which would contain their writings, and it did.

The Future Library was a giant, circular, modern and and futuristic looking place. Inside there were shelves stacked with numerous stories, donations from a hundred years ago, printed on fresh paper from the trees of Oslo, all equally as interesting and creative.

The world was a beautiful thing.

At least that was how it seemed in Oslo.

There was world peace, no war and no conflict. Countries that were in civil wars had been stopped, and were currently being refurbished, and what had been broken was being fixed.

Continents such as Africa, which had been impoverished, with children being born to die, and fatal disease which could have been cured but were not, had been saved. There was clean water, food, healthy people, homes for those who had found themselves lost and poor. This had taken a century to achieve, but it was worth it.

The proliferation of nuclear weapons, which could have brought the world to complete destruction had been stopped. Nobody even remembered the existence of nuclear weapons.

Conditions that people thought incurable, had been, well, cured. Fatal conditions, like cancer had been cured. Millions have been saved. Even inevitable conditions such as motor neurone disease, had also been cured. Modern science had found a cure for almost every condition.

Global warming had even been stopped. More and more people road bikes instead of using cars, travelled to other neighbouring countries using boats and only used planes if a country was more than three hours away.

There was equality within the world, black people (and other ethnic groups) where treated the same way as white people, homosexual people where treated the same way as heterosexual people, women were treated exactly the same way a man would too.

It was a fair, diverse and just...peaceful.

But one of the best features of 2114 is the technology mankind has discovered. There are flying cars, hoverboards, holograms, artificial intelligence force fields had been created and it was all just so cool!

I look down at 'Scribbler Moon' hoping that it would just be as exciting as the cover showed.

But before I started indulging in a new adventure, I wanted to take a moment to show my gratitude to the world. It was unpolluted, clean, peaceful, diverse, fair. But after all, this is 2114.

———

Sorry it's so short, I just wanted to make a small, soliloquy/monologue sort of thing.

Thank you for reading x