The Gemini

a/n: pic from GL Manhwa Mojito

I was born under the bad star; literally speaking, it was described that the night when my Mother laboured her childbirth to me and Naruse, the moon was crescent, smiling like a jester leprechaun whilst the star of Gemini was clearly shown beside him at the Zenggan Midnight Dessert.

My mother lived a hard pregnancy in the desert. She’s the most favoured concubine in the Palace. The King even spent a lot more time in her chamber than the Queen Consort’s. And because of that fact, Queen’s jealousy made her send my Mom out to a far away place and expect to get the child naturally aborted while the King is out for a territory expansion mission.

But under the same humid night of my Mother’s childbirth, a prophecy of the Royal twin was remembered. After having me, it didn’t take a minute when Naruse came out too. Being born a twin with the opposite gender in the royal family means drought, famine and devastating natural calamities. And to hide the truth... one of us has to die.

Even after my Grandmother Kodak suggested the possibility of our family getting ousted at the Royal Palace, my Mother still protected the both of us against her own Mother until Gran Kodak was finally convinced to have both me and Naruse—in certain conditions.

No one will know about the tale of the Twin Royals. The girl will be hidden from the world and will live behind the shadows.

But as time went by, that condition became more demanding. I was raised to be my Brother’s double. I am trained to copy his traits, his attitude and mannerism, his outlook in life and his decision making. I was raised to be my brother’s replacement in the event that he won’t be around because of his sickly nature. I have to be raised as Naruse. We have similar facial features so even though I was born a girl, I was raised as a boy.

I didn’t even know that I was different from a man. I mean, I’ve never been treated otherwise. When I have to pee, my Gran Kodak would hit me if I didn’t pee like a normal boy would do. Like a normal Royal would do. Naruse is the only known child of the concubine Gaia. And I was raised to follow his shadow as 7th Prince to the throne of this kingdom. 

It’s not like I have no other choice to pick for myself. Being young and naïve, I was dependent on everything that my Gran Kodak says. I have to live under her shadow—until I came to the point of no return.

And now, It was quite a challenging thought. I’m between two unequal options; life or death. I would gladly choose death if I have a say on this. But, I was afraid—I always am. Unable to take bigger risk without being complied to do so. I was born to follow her rules, and outside of that, I don’t understand the concept of living. Entrapped inside the space inside her shadow, I don’t know If I can do this alone.

“Aneue,” I heard Naruse, my younger brother called out. His voice was broken while his breath was getting shallow. I was holding on the piece of cloth that was pressed against his chest, yet, the blood won’t stop from coming out of it. “You should run,”

“NO!” I exclaimed. My tears that I keep on holding spills out through my cheeks. “I won’t leave you alone!”

He weakly smiled at me and that scene broke my heart into pieces. “You’re on your own now,”

“C-can you stop talking? Bloods are coming—” before I even finished talking, he coughed out blood which made my nervousness escalate. His eyes wander around when I pressed the wound even more.

He grabs my arms and tells me “Live your life as you see fit. Don’t make me sad.” I cried. I can feel his fears over me. No one likes death. It's unfair that sometimes it was given to the wrong person. Why does it have to be Naruse? I am here. I could’ve easily accepted death like it was my old friend.