Chapter 36- You and Me

Start from the beginning

I shyly nod. "But we'll need to visit the music room so I can show you."

Varian eagerly takes my hand. "Then what are we waiting for? Let's go!"

:-:-:-:-:

The castle music room has always been one of my favorite rooms in the palace. With its cyan walls decorated with gold trim, tall windows that overlook the Coronian Sea, and the beautiful golden chandeliers that hang from the ceiling, to say the room is stunning would be a major understatement. But it isn't one of my favorite rooms because of what it looks like, it's one of my favorites because of what it holds inside. The room is filled to the brim with a plethora of string instruments, a grand piano, several brass instruments, and a golden harp in the center of it all. I couldn't even count the number of hours I'd spent within these walls, playing any and every instrument I could get my hands on.

When Varian lays eyes on the room for the first time, his jaw drops. "This is incredible!" He exclaims, stepping into the room and looking at the various instruments with wonder. "Do you play all of these?"

I sheepishly scratch the back of my neck. "Most of them. I hope to someday master them all."

"That's so cool! I never knew you liked music so much!"

"I guess it just never came up." I giggle a bit. "Do you play anything?"

Varian blushes with embarrassment. "Not nearly as much as you do. I only play the piano."

"That's still a cool instrument!" I say. "It was the first one I ever learned to play."

"Same here!" Varian jokes, causing us to burst into a fit of laughter.

Once our giggles subside, I walk to the window seat and pick up my guitar. "Are you ready for your gift?"

Varian dashes over to the window seat and sits down beside me, a smile of excitement on his lips.

I take a deep breath in as I set the sheet music on the wooden music stand. I let my breath out.

My fingers strum the guitar strings.

(Yn): "I know everything about ya~

Can't picture one day without ya~

When I need someone to guide me,

You're always right there beside me

To point the way~

If I go astray~"

With each guitar strum, I feel more and more of my nerves leaving my body, as though the notes to the melody are carrying away my fears.

(Yn): "'Cause although it may be unspoken,

We've got something that can't be broken~

You and me, we fit together

Perfectly, best friends forever

Guarantee, I'll always see you through~"

I look away from my sheet music to see Varian smiling from ear to ear, his adorable buck-teeth showing off as he does so.

(Yn): "Cause I know that

Me and you, share a connection

Strong as glue, way past affection

You're my crew, that's how it's meant to be~

Cause it's you and me~"

Suddenly, Varian opens his mouth and begins to sing along with me. I smile with delight when I hear his singing voice for the first time; I had no idea he sounds this good!

(V): "Who else can I share a laugh with?

Or always go half-and-half with?

And if I should ever slip up,

I know that you'll zip your lip up,

And let it slide~

'Cause you're on my side!

Just ask anybody who's seen us~

Nothing ever can come between us~"

I set down my guitar and grab Varian's hands, and pull him off the seat and onto the floor with me. With our hands connected, we spin around in circles together, our singing never coming to a stop.

(Both): "You and me, we fit together

To a T, birds of a feather,

Can't you see, we share a point of view?

And it's obvious

Me and you, we'll never falter

Tried and true, you're my Gibraltar

Can't undo something that's
meant to be~" 

Varian twirls me in a circle and I feel my heartbeat quicken, pure happiness evident on my face and actions.

(Both): "Something real like,"

(V): "You and me, we fit together

A to Z, no question whether,"

(Yn): "C'est la vie, somehow I guess we knew~"

(V): "It was gonna be~"

(Yn): "Me and you, ever and always~

Through and through, big ways and small ways~"

(V): "Just us two, simple as 1-2-3~"

In the past couple of years that I've known Varian, I've never seen him so joyful.

(Both) "Always you and me~

You and me~

You and me, we fit together

Perfectly, best friends forever

Guarantee, I'll always see you through~

Cause I know that,

Me and you, share a connection

Strong as glue, way past affection

You're my crew, that's how it's meant to be

Cause it's you and me~

You and me~"