Chapter 26

Sirius launches out of his chair the moment the doors open, demanding, "Can I see them now? Are they-"

"Mr. Black," the nurse says, holding up their hand in a soothing gesture, "I just came to update you. Mr. Potter is still in surgery, but he's almost finished and he's expected to wake up tomorrow. He won't be recovered enough to be fully released for at least two more days."

"But he will recover?" Sirius insists, because he's been here for fucking hours and no one has given him any answers. It leaves him restless and ready to riot.

The nurse hesitates, then clears their throat. "Mr. Potter will recover fully from the stab wound to his abdomen, but his leg unfortunately has severe enough nerve damage that he will be required to use a cane if he's going to be standing for long periods of time or moving great distances, especially when it's cold or he's doing anything strenuous. Of course, he will learn over time when the cane is necessary, as well as his pain tolerance, but we do believe he will need it frequently over the next two months, which means he'll need it during the Victor interview, sadly. The Hallow will provide it, I assure you."

Sirius grinds his teeth, infuriated that this nurse thinks he gives one fuck about how James will look on that stage, over his health. As if how he's presented to the world matters more, when Sirius couldn't care less.

"And Regulus?" Sirius whispers, hands balling into fists.

"The nature in which he received his scars means they will never heal completely, unfortunately. We're treating them, so they will fade a bit, but-"

"Not-I don't mean the fucking scars. Is he okay?"

"He ingested quite a bit of blood from the river," the nurse informs him, which is when it hits Sirius that the river in the arena was actually made of blood-just now, he realizes this, and it makes him feel close to vomiting. "Due to this, he'll be vomiting quite a bit through the night and will likely suffer intense abdominal pain until tomorrow, at the very least. We're flushing his system with fluids and medicine to fight any bacteria or infection, which will help."

"Anything else?" Sirius demands.

"Due to the nature in which he received his injuries, the scars will always remain, but they should be faded before the interview, and easily covered by makeup," the nurse says, as if that's going to comfort him, as if Sirius even cares. Clearly seeing that this is not helpful, the nurse tries again. "He'll be released tomorrow, if all goes well, but we'll be holding Mr. Potter for an extra day to have a specialist come in and work with him on what he should expect with his leg."

Sirius exhales shakily. "Is-is my brother awake?"

"He is, yes," the nurse confirms gently.

"Can I see him?" Sirius chokes out.

The nurse's face softens. "Of course. Follow me, Mr. Black."

"Thank you," Sirius breathes, his shoulders slumping as he surges forward to follow the nurse through the doors.

"I don't want you to be alarmed," is the warning Sirius gets as they move through the clinically-white hall, taking a corner and stopping at a closed door. The nurse glances back at him, lips tipped down. "His scarring is...quite extensive."

Sirius just nods, his hands trembling as he tries to regulate his breathing, starkly aware that his baby brother is on the other side of the door. He's begging his memory not to fail him now, because he wants to be here for this. He needs to be here.

The door opens with a creak, and the nurse steps aside to allow him in, carefully shutting the door behind him as soon as he steps inside, leaving Sirius alone with-