4. Why are there old people flirting in the library?

''And this is the last part of the tour.'' Aether said, after we'd been going from room to room. I wasn't sure if this tour was going to prevent me form getting lost here, the church was so ginormous that it was impossible for Aether to show me all parts of it. And even if he did, I wouldn't be able to remember it.

''This is the entrance of the basement. I'm only showing you this because this section of the church is strictly forbidden to go to for anyone who's not in The Clergy or a guard ghoul.'' I looked at the entrance, it was a big, dark, mysterious wooden door, that looked as if it was made centuries ago. In front of it, stood a ghoul. ''This is my friend Rain I told you about earlier.'' The ghoul looked at me when he heard Aether mentioning his name, but he refused to look me in my eyes. ''Hello Rain, this is my new friend Roy. I'm giving him a tour of the church and I was just explaining to him that he's not allowed to go in the basement.'' ''Hello Roy, nice to meet you.'' Rain said shyly. ''Nice to meet you too.'' I said. ''What are you guarding here exactly? Papa mentioned a book?'' I asked, in an attempt to have a conversation with Rain, who was staring at the ground now. ''Yes, among other treasures.'' Rain kept his answer short but clear. Aether put his hand on my shoulder. ''Well, we better be going now. Papa told me to drop you off at the library of the church, he wanted to meet you there. See you later Rain!'' ''See you, Rain!'' I said, but Rain only waved at us.

''He didn't have much to say.'' I said, when Aether and I were walking far enough so that Rain couldn't hear us anymore. ''Yes, he's always like that with meeting new people. So don't worry, it's nothing personal. And besides, he's getting a little bit better at it every time, I'm so proud of him.'' I thought for a second. Rain didn't seem like the type of ghoul who would want to work as a guard ghoul. ''Aether?'' I said, to which he responded with a ''hm?'' ''Why does Rain work as a guard ghoul? I mean, no offence to him, but he doesn't seem like the type for it.'' Aether nodded. ''You're right, I'm sure that he would have chosen another job at the church if it weren't for his grandma. You see, the book is the only connection from earth to hell. If any of us want to visit our family in hell, we need Papa to let us go there, and he can't do that without the book. Rain's grandma hasn't been...'' He paused his sentence, but continued talking a few seconds later. ''Well, let's just say she hasn't been very well. So Rain wants to visit her as often as possible, now he still can. He wants to make sure that the book doesn't get stolen by anyone, so he insisted to do the job of protecting it himself.'' ''That's actually really sweet of him.'' I said. Aether nodded, ''yes, he really is one of the nicest ghouls I've ever met. It just takes a while to get to know him.''

''Are you friends with more ghouls?'' I asked, while we were still walking through what felt like the thousandth hall of this church. ''Yes,'' Aether said, ''I actually have a lot of friends, and they are all unique in their own way. There's Dewdrop, he's very small, but don't underestimate him! He's a bit of a hothead and very dirty minded, but I know that deep down he's got a heart of gold. He actually plays bass in the band! Then there's Swiss, I've told you about him already. He's a very talented guy, he usually spends his days making furniture out of wood.'' ''What does he do with all that furniture? And where does he get so much wood from?'' I asked. ''Haven't you seen the huge forest surrounding this place?'' Aether laughed. ''My other friends, Mountain and Sunshine spend their days in the woods, chopping wood. After Swiss makes a table or a wardrobe or something like that out of it, my other friends Cumulus and Cirrus sell them. It's all just teamwork.'' I sighed, ''I wish I had as many friends as you. They sound awesome!'' ''I'll introduce you to them! They are busy working right now, but we could all go to The Ritual tonight together?'' I smiled, ''that sounds awesome!''

Not much later we arrived at the library of the church. I don't think I've ever seen so many books in one library. And it looked absolutely stunning. There were bookcases everywhere, they were at least 3 meters high. The bookcases were made out of the same dark wood, but they were decorated with gold that matched the gold colored carpets on the floor. ''Quite the sight, isn't it?'' Aether said. ''Ah, there's Papa, I must leave you know, but I'll see you tonight at The Ritual!'' ''Thanks for the tour Aether, see you later!''

Papa sat behind one of the desks, he was reading a book. I cleared my voice to announce my presence, which worked, Papa immediately looked up from his book. ''Ah! There you are mio amico! Sit down, I've got something to tell you.'' He pointed at one of the chairs in front of the desk and I did as he said. ''You are still a kid! Therefore I must insist that you'll have to finish your education. We have a little class here with other underage siblings of sin, and-''

I got distracted by something else that was happening in the library. There were 3 older people, 1 of them was a man with a skull painted on his face, just like Papa has. The other old man didn't have a skull face paint. There was also a woman, she had her long grey hair tied back in a ponytail, with 2 loose strains of hair on the side of her face. 

''I am not flirting with her! I was just telling her the truth!'' The normal looking guy yelled. ''I know you are trying to flirt with her! Telling a woman she's beautiful is flirting!'' The skull-faced guy argued. The woman rolled her eyes. ''No, Nihil. Mister Robertson here was just telling the truth. I am very beautiful indeed.'' ''Well yes of course you are!'' The skull-faced guy, whose name was apparently Nihil, grabbed the woman's hand, which she immediately shook off. ''Seestor!'' He tried to get her attention, but to no avail, she walked away with the other old guy, mister Robertson.

''And so, I expect you to go to class with the other underage siblings of sin.'' Papa said, unbothered by the whole scene going on with the older people. ''Yes, of course.'' I said, even though I didn't listen at all to what Papa said.