also i wanted to be able to love. and we all know how that one goes, don't we?

Start from the beginning

More have appeared, though, from far more well-known newspapers, like the Washington Post, the New York Times. The new ones read things like:

WHO AND WHAT IS NIGHT OWL, KCSD'S NIGHTTIME RADIO SEGMENT?

SOCAL'S MOST UNDERRATED RADIO SEGMENT, NIGHT OWL, ON 101.1 FM

UNKNOWN TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC BUT BELOVED BY UC STUDENTS AND GRAVEYARD SHIFT WORKERS, NIGHT OWL, A RADIO SEGMENT

HOW THE PADRES' WINNING HOME-RUN OF THE WORLD SERIES THRUSTED A LITTLE-KNOWN SHOW INTO STARDOM

"Little-known show? That's kinda cruel. And that's coming from me."

Jerry snickers.

You grin. "Yeah, well, sympathetic press gets us more listeners, so they can keep going."

"That is true..."

The two of you slip out of the studio.

He glances at you and smirks. "Nice shirt."

You grin, tugging at the black shirt with just the Wonder Woman logo on the breast. "Thank you. Wonder Woman is excellent. I have a poster of her and the Wonderfam in my room."

"Of course you do."

He pushes the down button for the elevator.

"I've been thinking I want to get some more snails if I get a bigger tank, like two of them, and you know what I'm gonna name them?"

"Let me guess — Wonder Woman and Superman?"

"Aw, look at you. All knowledgeable about comics now."

"Well, you did talk my ear off about it for two hours straight."

The elevator doors slide open.

You smile. "I did, didn't I?"

Your studio is on the tenth floor of KCSD's building, which is located in Hillcrest, a neighborhood west of your apartment in Normal Heights. Right across the I-805.

Outside, the sun is beginning its descent. The time change is in a couple days, so it'll be setting even earlier after that. You take the time to enjoy the last long days of sunlight. It's warm today, perfectly comfortable, especially with the sun still out and a light breeze. You're in your Wonder Woman t-shirt, dark jean shorts, your regular Doc Martens that are scuffed and worn, and a pair of black over-the-knee socks, finished with a black cherry lip lacquer.

"So, what was he talking about? Did they lower your pay?"

"Not mine. His. A few months ago. But," you sigh, tilting your face to the sky, closing your eyes as you come to the crosswalk. You still need a second to adjust to the brightness. "Jerry lives on his own with his grandmother. It's just them two. She has diabetes, though, and needs medication for it. We get insurance but it doesn't cover the entirety of the prescription. The two of them wouldn't have been able to live on that paycheck, so I told payroll to fill it from mine."

Miyuki is quiet for a second. You open your eyes, a little more adjusted to the light.

"Nice of you," he says at last.

"It's just me and Batman and Robin. It made the most sense."

"Hm."

The light turns. You two cross the street to the 7-Eleven, where Rico's Tacos, a food truck, sits adjacent of.

You and Jerry are loyal customers to them, so when you step up the window, you are instantly recognized.

"Tee! What's up? We heard about what happened! Free tacos for life, yeah? Or, well, maybe just a few months."