Pt 14: Whats your favorite color?

Joel and I had been with each other ever since we left the QZ and he had barley told me anything about himself. I was nearly itching to get to learn more about him. 

"So..... what you have nothing interesting about you?" I ask as I walk along the woodsy trail.

"No y/n. Now can you just be quiet?" He asks as he walks along the trail taking a sip of his flask filled with water.

"If I'm going to be stuck with you, I might as well learn something about you," I say as I look over at Joel, we make eye contact but I quickly look away.

"I'll tell you when I want to, I don't trust you yet. I'm not sure if I even like you," Joel harshly states.

"Jeez, that's real nice," I say kicking a pebble.

                                   ...............

We finally stopped after about long grueling hours of hiking. It was around June and it was extremely hot and humid out. I looked at the map to see a fairly large lake not too far from here.

"Hey Joel come here," I say waving him over, "We should go swimming," I say pointing at the lake on the map in excitement.

"No," Joel says plainly, "What do you mean no?" I ask confused.

"I just don't feel like it," He answers simply, "Fine then I'm going by myself," I say grabbing the map and a gun. 

"Hey don't take that!" Joel says trying to grab it from me but I twist my body so it's out of his reach, "Nope, I need protection," I say still walking in the direction of the lake. 

"Are you coming or not," I huff as I turn around to look at him because I didn't exactly want to venture into the woods by myself but I would never tell him that.

"Fine! I'll go! I'll go! Happy now?" Joel says throwing his hands in the air. 

"I'm overjoyed," I say sarcastically as he laughs and shakes his head.

After about thirty minutes of walking, we brush our way through twigs and pricker bushes as we come to a clearing of what looks like an abandoned parking lot to a state park. We walk down the trail that has a large sign pointing to it that says "Way to lake" the sound of gravel crunching under our shoes, and the sound of birds chirping fill my ears. When we finally get to the sandier parts of the trail I take my shoes off and I start jogging toward the water, It had been so long since I had been to any lake or beach. 

"Wow, it's so gorgeous," I say looking at the horizon, wanting to savor this moment of peace forever. 

"Sure is," Joel speaks just above a whisper as I turn around to give him a grateful smile.

I quickly take off my fleece and jeans, but then stall when I realize Joel isn't coming. 

"Are you gonna swim?" I ask taking my shirt off, "yea, yea," He said snapping out of his daze.

"Never seen a girl in underwear before?" I laugh looking up at him, "No- You're just quite the looker, that's all," He says taking his shirt and jeans off so he was just in his boxers. 

"I'll take that as a compliment," I say scanning his body, stopping at his stomach when I see his fairly toned stomach.  Maybe Joel was kind of hot.....

I then snap out of my own daze when I see a smirk on Joel's face, "Oh shut up! The last one in the water gets bitten by a clicker!" I yell as I sprint into the water. 

As I'm running in I feel myself being picked up by Joel as he throws me over his shoulder, I let out a scream in shock and thrash my fists against his back, "Hey that's not fair!" I yell squirming in his embrace before giving up and going limp since he was way too strong. I look down at my rippled reflection in the water as the tips of my long curls dip into the water "Honestly you may not be the worst y/n," Joel says placing me down as he looks me in the eyes. 

"Yea I know, I told you," I say placing my hands on my hips as I roll my eyes jokingly. 

"Don't get too confident in yourself honey, I scoff at him.

"So let's try this again," I say letting out a large huff of air, "What's your favorite color?" I ask looking up at him, "Well sugar, I guess you could say I'm growing very fond of the color purple," Joel whispers as he hovers over me slowly rolling my bra strap between two fingers. 

"Oh, yea?" I ask as I look into his eyes feeling my cheeks warm up. 

"Oh, yea,"  He says taking one of my long curls in his hands, "Well I'd say my favorite color is," I look to see what boxers he's wearing, "Blue and red, really hits the spot," I say laughing a little.

"I can see the appeal," He says laughing as I dunk underwater, when I break the surface I see Joel had done the same, as he rakes his hand through his wet salt and pepper hair. 

"Y'know I'd really like you to clarify what you like about the color purple," I say slowly running my hands down his torso, "Gladly," Joel says as he hoists me up so my legs are wrapping around his waist. 

"Well I really think it brings out certain girls' complexions," He says slipping one bra strap off my shoulder, "And I think It makes some girls look incredibly sexy," He says slipping the other bra strap off so now my bra was barely clinging on. 

"I think I could agree," I say running my hands along his grey scruffy cheeks, before kissing him. 

"Your so cocky," He laughs into the kiss, "I can agree to that too,"