University of Essex | Rankings, Courses, Fees, Admission | AHZ Associates

Overview

Look no further than Essex if you want to learn from some of the best minds in the world in a supportive and research-focused environment. We are ranked 25th in the United Kingdom for research quality, and our groundbreaking discoveries continue to make the world a better place (The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2021). We have been dedicated to providing world-class learning and research opportunities for nearly 50 years.

Essex is one of the world's most internationally diverse institutions, with nearly 15,500 students from more than 140 countries.

Join one of the country's most upbeat student bodies, whether you attend classes at their historic parkland campus in Colchester, the vibrant town centre in Southend-on-Sea, or their magnificent mansion in Loughton.

You can now join over 100,000 other graduates who have gone on to change the world and spread the Essex spirit, including Nobel Prize winners, Academy Award-winning filmmakers, presidents, well-known performers, and even astronauts.

History

Sir Albert Sloman laid the groundwork for his vision of a one-of-a-kind research university in 1963. Following his vision, the University of Essex in the United Kingdom was founded in 1964 as 'Essex Spirit,' with Sir Albert Sloman as its first Vice-Chancellor. Essex Spirit welcomed its first class of 122 students in October 1964, who were drawn to the university's unique vision.

Over the next two years, the student body grew to 750 by October 1964, and Lord Butler was appointed Chancellor. From 1970 to 1980, the university expanded its current campus by adding a new health centre, day nursery, bookstore, and an art gallery.

Essex Business School became the UK's first zero-carbon educational institution building in 2015. In 2019, the University of Essex formed the Young Universities for the Future of Europe (YUFE) Alliance with seven other prestigious UK universities.

Achievements and Rankings

54th in the Times University Guide 2023, 42nd in the Guardian University Guide 2023, and 465th in the QS World University Rankings 2023 for Politics and International Studies (QS World University Rankings by Subject 2022)
Sociology ranks 9th in the United Kingdom and 55th worldwide (QS World University Rankings by Subject 2022)

In the United Kingdom, the quality of research in modern languages and linguistics ranks third (Grade Point Average, Research Excellence Framework 2021). Their research in international relations and politics ranks sixth in the United Kingdom (Grade Point Average, Research Excellence Framework 2021).

Sociology is ranked seventh in the United Kingdom for the quality of its research (Grade Point Average, Research Excellence Framework 2021). Ranking eighth in the United Kingdom for the quality of economics and econometrics research (Grade Point Average, Research Excellence Framework 2021)