Chapter 1

(Art by DawnMist)

(SkyClan)

The brisk breeze blew colorful fall leaves through the towering trees of SkyClan. Mixtures of massive oak and pine trees stood tall and proud reaching for the limited sunlight while saturated shades were scattered on the forest floor below. 

The SkyClan nursery, a closely connected bundle of bushes stood as a fallen leaf from an oak tree whisked from a near by branch and slithered through the twigs and straight into the den.

Timberkit was taking an afternoon nap with his brother Leafkit and his mother Moonclaw. The oak leaf smacked his face and landed on his back cupping it.

"Ach hoo!" The brown tom sneezed as he bolted awake. He saw the massive leaf cup his back and jumped. 

The sound of rustling woke Leafkit up and he amusingly chuckled, "Timberkit you've turned into a turtle!"

"I don't wanna be a turtle! I want to be a cat!" Timberkit screeched as he jumped in circles trying to get it off.

"At least I'll still be the better runner out of both of us!" Leafkit purred.

Timberkit started to well up from being overwhelmed, "What if I'm a turtle forever?"

Leafkit wriggled out of Moonclaw's front legs and bounced over to his brother, "Maybe dad will call you Turtlekit then."

"Oh no! Or maybe he'll banish me to go live in the lake!" Timberkit cried. 

The silver tom sniffed the leaf on his brother and tapped it, making it move. Then he swiped it as hard as he can, "AH HA!" The leaf floated above them and Timberkit sighed in relief.

Leafkit chirped, "It's a leaf! Like me! Come on let's play!"

Timberkit shook his brown mane and wrestled his brother preventing him to tap the leaf. Leafkit squirmed out of the brown kit's grasp and hit the leaf keeping it in the air, "One point for me!" Leafkit gloated.

"No fair! You're as wirey as a moor rabbit!" Timberkit protested.

As the two brothers fought to keep the leaf up a distorted shadow danced into the den from outside. A cat was coming. The cat was an enormous, golden, handsome tom with a mane like the sun and bright blue eyes. This was their father, leader of SkyClan, Eaglestar.

Timberkit straightened up as soon as he saw his father, while Leafkit was still trying to get the leaf. It was a moment before the light grey tom let it fall to the nursery floor as he went to greet his father with his tail in the air. 

"Dad!" Leafkit chirped.

A grumble came from behind the kits. It was their mother Moonclaw waking up from a nap. The dark tabby she-cat blinked and saw Eaglestar at the entrance of the den. Timberkit didn't know if he imagined it, but he thought for a second that his mother glared at his father.

Eaglestar smirked, "It was great form, but you let it drop Leafkit and don't be afraid to use your claws too." 

Leafkit cheerfully mewed, "Will do! Thanks dad!"

Timberkit mumbled, "Won't that..."

"Hmm?" Eaglestar asked.

The brown kit gulped, letting his head hide in his mane, "Won't that... tear the leaf though? We would have to stop playing then."

Eaglestar huffed and stood tall and proud almost like he was posing, "Then that means victory! That's what it means to be a SkyClan cat! Better to take out the enemy then let it flounder like RiverClan cats do with their prey."