familiar • [taehyun]

Start from the beginning

Now, it'd been almost 7 years since you lived in Korea. Your korean had become worse as you stayed in the states but it was imminent as you lived in a foreign country.

Your counselor at the high school you were attending had assigned you a tutor to help you regain your first language again. You agreed and went to meet him at the library after classes.

"Hi, I'm Kang Taehyun, your assigned tutor for korean."

"Hi, I'm Y/l/n Y/n. Nice to meet you." You greeted him with a polite smile.

"Should we get started now?" His voice was bittersweet, you couldn't wrap your mind as to why.

"Yes we can." You two then took your seats.

It was odd because the tutor looked alike to the childhood best friend you remembered.

Taehyun. It had to be him.

Weeks later, he's still tutoring you like he's supposed to be, no memories of him seeming to have surfaced, at least that's what he thought. But every time you saw him your mind was flooded with all the fond souvenir like memories and feelings he's left you with.

"When I lived here before moving to Chicago, I had a really good friend." You spoke up after long moments of silence since the tutoring session began.

"Is that so?" He replied, seeming nonchalant.

"Yeah, but I can't remember his name. I never forgot him though... You remind me a lot of him, Taehyun."

He didn't express it but he was happy with such a simple statement from you.

"Oh yeah? That's nice." Was all he said.

You felt terrible, he just had so many similarities with your best friend yet he acted like he knew not one thought about you.

It was an understatement, surely, but you missed him a lot.

A few months had passed since you got back from the states and the whole time you had been meeting with Taehyun, the dots connected more and more, something he had done one day just confirmed your assumptions.

"Good news, your pronunciation is better than last time." Taehyun started to pack his stuff.

"Really?" You gasp softly.

"Yeah." He nods. "Anyway, you should get going."

"Yeah I should." You take your cellphone out to contact your brother who usually walks home with you from school.

You were met with a text message from your brother saying that he'd be at a friend's house for the weekend and that walking you home wasn't an option.

"Great. Thanks Sungjin." You mutter under your breath, but it was loud enough for Taehyun to hear.

"Your brother?" He calls out, his head snapping in your direction.

"How...?" You looked confused yet excited at the same time, a small smile creeped to yourlips but kept your reserve.

Maybe he'd finally admit he was the Taehyun who was your best friend.

He looked surprised, bothered even, before he replied with, "It sounded like a guy's name, so I assumed."

"Oh, yeah. Okay." You nodded, followed by a groan as you shoved your cellphone into your bag, causing Taehyun to raise a brow at you.

"Is everything alright?"

You felt embarrassed to ask him. "Can you walk with me to my place? My brother ditched me."

"Oh, yeah sure."

"Thanks." You smile briefly and you head out the school library.

"Looks like we're here." Taehyun said as he had his finger pointed to a house in front of you.

"How did you know?" You haven't said a word to describe your house or show it to him even.

"I wasn't certain, just a lucky guess I suppose." He says with a soft smile, "Anyway, I'll go now."

Suddenly, you grab his arm, earning appalled looks from both of you.

"Y/n?"

"Don't go, yet." You had no idea what you were doing.

"Okay?" Taehyun's calm, reserved expression shifted agape.

"Are you going to go inside?" He asked after you didn't make a move to go.

"No." You muttered.

"Why not?"

"Because you'd leave." Your smile faded ages ago.

A drop of water fell onto your heads and you realized it was going to rain. "Y/n you have to go, or else we will get rained on."

The pouring rain stopped him, you then took this chance to show him something.

So you took off your school uniform blazer and held it over your heads, hoping he would snap out of the facade he put up. His mouth fell open, he knew precisely what you were trying to do and your tears swole your eyes.

"I thought you forgot me." His voice trembled.

"Forget you? I thought you forgot me." The tears trickled down your cheeks to your clothes.

"That doesn't matter anymore. You're here now and you still remember me." His arms pull you into a tight hug and his arms rest gently on your back.

This circle of friendship you had with Taehyun was one you were uncertain of, you never expected to meet him under these circumstances.

But you loved it.

You have met once again as new people, old friends that were separated and now placed back together.