"Nope. And I genuinely don't care. If she want a fight, then a fight can happen. Injuries been damned." Toji was staring at the sky with boredom until a pull of his shirt redirected his vision to Roland.

"Listen, I don't know if you have a death wish or having to impress everyone around you, but you got to tightened your shit up if you wanna survive." Roland scold with a worried expression. "That was Raven Branwen, the leader of this group."

"Ok?" Replied Toji.

"Ok?! What you do mean ok?!" Toji grabbed the wrist of the old man making him let go.

"Listen, I got this. Having to fight a woman isn't really my style, but it can let the muscle loose again." Said Toji.

"Even if it's to the death?" Replied Roland with a question. A chill went down the spine of the old man as he see the expression of Toji. It was creepy smile, enjoying to be in a situation to kill their enemies.

"Trust me, I know what I'm doing." Said Toji with a smile.

"You're ballsy, I'll give you that." Said the old man.

"He's a fucking idiot," Vernal snapped. "Talking to Raven like that! Who do you think you are!? I'm going to enjoy watching her cut you a few feet shorter. Won't be a very long fight, but I'll take what I can get."

Roland's fist caught Vernal's jaw with a sickening crack. The suddenness of it surprised even him, but it certainly caught Vernal off guard, knocking her back with a cry and a spray of blood. The girl landed hard and wiped some from her lips, glaring at the man.

"If you've got time to talk shit, you've got time to train. I didn't unlock your aura so you could be blindsided like that. Bring your aura to the fore to block the attack. Don't just stand there like an idiot."

"Y-You surprised me!" Vernal babbled past the blood that pooled in her mouth. She spat some out and glared at them both.

"I punched you in the sodding face! How much more obvious can I be!?" The man held out his hand, requesting the wooden sword returned. Toji gave back the sword to observe the outcome.

"Take a breather, boy. I'll get to you in a second. First, I need to whip this foul-mouthed little snot into shape. That or kill her trying."

What followed was a crash course – literally, in Vernal's case – of what life was like in the Branwen Tribe. Roland pushed the girl hard, but not as hard back home, the clan that he'd left for the job of a mercenary. The man was a career soldier, or had been one, that much was obvious from the way he moved, the way he held himself and even from how he adjusted his sword, only moving as much as he had to and conserving his energy.

Vernal was much more raw and untamed, striking with a ferocity that was almost frightening to see in a child. She made wide and aggressive swings, all the while trying to use her natural agility to get past Roland's guard and land a killing blow. Whenever that failed, and it failed every time, he would punish her not with stern words or a lesson, but with a strike of the wooden blade. He was never gentle about it.

The crowd around the campfire dispersed after a while, some staying to watch the entertainment while most found other things to do. There was no real organisation to it, but there was some discipline, for while they laughed, jeered and shouted insults at one another, no one dared to cause any trouble. The sounds of training from further afield spoke of more in Vernal's situation, but there were no brawls or fights among the bandits.

Toji stares with the observation as the child fell for what felt like the thirtieth time. She tried to rise but couldn't make it, and instead curled into a ball in submission. Roland placed a foot on her hip, making sure she wasn't dead.

"You're spent already? Tch. I guess this is as far as you go. Get up, wash the stink off your body and then report to the kitchens. You can help cook food and then help yourself to some – but only then. If you take some ahead I'll know, and I'll make what happened here seem like mercy. Got it?"

"I-I got it, you bastard..." Her insults were cut off as he rolled her further, dashing her face in the soil. The girl spluttered and coughed, sending both Roland and Toji a glare. Roland just sighed and Toji just gave a blow kiss to send her merry way. She limped away with one arm held to her side.

"Well, that was interesting." Toji noted.

"That a statement or a complaint?" Roland asked, moving over to sit down opposite him.

"A little bit of both."

"Tch. The brat wants to get strong and I'll make her strong. What I am is efficient. Take it or leave it." The man paused to take a swig of water. "What did you think of her?"

"The brat?"

Roland nodded. "Hm."

"Truth be told, she's something."

"Fuck off with that shit, boy. I asked what you think. Everyone has potential and it doesn't mean a damn thing when a Grimm or angry huntsman is staring down the end of your sword. Leave that potential nonsense to the weaklings in the Kingdoms. Maybe it'll help coddle a wounded ego. Out here, that kind of crap will get you killed."

'Grimm?' Toji thought. 'Also kingdoms? Is this Europe or something?' He didn't dwell on the important details the old man spoke. Questions for later.

"Heh, alright alright. She's too emotional when she fights and far too aggressive. That means she exerts all her energy early, which is fine if she can take down her opponent in a blistering attack, but is just going to leave her exhausted against someone better or as good as she is. She's also had no plan I could see against you and just kept wailing away. Is that what you wanted to hear?" Toji with the explanation.

"It's a start," Roland said "she's shit."

"Obviously. She a child."

"Like that matters. I'll up her training in the morning but that's nothing for you to worry about. Come on, I'll give you a tour of the camp and the rules here. Wouldn't want you pissing someone off and getting yourself killed before the boss has had the chance to have her way with you." The cruel chuckle from not only him but those nearby made it clear what he meant by the final comment.

"Tch, if they can try to kill me, then I'll have to retaliate. Don't blame me if they get beat up badly or else killed." Toji gave a chuckle of his own. This place was interesting said the least.