= A Knight's End

"KITT, buddy." Michael starts. "Are you sure? You don't have to do this just because I am."

He had informed KITT about a week ago of his plans of retirement and his intentions of leaving FLAG, and the AI hadn't taken the news well. Had even stopped talking to him unless absolutely necessary. Clearly KITT was upset to hear that his driver was planning on leaving, and very likely never coming back.

But now... now KITT has once more started talking to him again, and the first thing he had said is that he intends on retiring alongside him.

Which is something that Michael wasn't expecting to hear, and he cannot make KITT do that just for him....

"I shudder at the thought of someone else other than you driving me, Michael." KITT says. "If you retire to go live a normal life, then I'm coming with you."

Michael will admit that that's a lovely idea, and he'd be more than happy to go out and live a normal life with KITT... or at least as normal as possible for someone with a talking car. Frankly, having KITT there with him in retirement is something he'd absolutely love. He's grown quite fond of the AI over the years, and he struggles to imagine a life without him.

Which is why the idea of retirement was a difficult one for him. He didn't want to leave KITT behind. However, there wasn't much choice on the matter, and he wasn't just going to make KITT leave with him, even though he's programmed to respond to him, and only him.

But now KITT is wanting to retire alongside him. He doesn't want another driver, or the horrible possibility of being put into storage and forgotten about, or completely dismantled - which is something Michael is certain Devon would never do to KITT.

And as much as Michael wants it, can he really allow KITT to retire with him? It is what he wants, but... wouldn't it be better for everyone if KITT was to stay, and take on a new driver to continue to help those who need their help?

"They can create a replacement." KITT says. "I'm yours, Michael. No one else's, and I refuse to be passed over to someone else!"

Michael smiles at that. He has to admire KITT's stubbornness and insistence that he leaves alongside him. And he's right. They can create a replacement. Probably won't be one as good as KITT, but would certainly work perfectly well as a replacement.

"I'm coming with you whether you like it or not, Michael." KITT says, as Michael doesn't say anything. "You're not going to be getting rid of me that easily."

Well then.... It seems that there's no point in convincing KITT to stay and not to leave just because he is. Seems like it'll be rather fruitless to even try. KITT has clearly made up his mind, and he's leaving with him. Leaving for retirement, and to live a normal life.

Honestly, that's exactly what Michael finds he wants. He just hopes that KITT will be able to handle a normal life with no more danger. Hopes that it won't be too boring for him, and he'll miss the old life they had. Which is the exact reason Michael had felt that it would be best if only he retires, and KITT stays, even if it would've been hard to say goodbye to KITT.

"Alright, buddy." He says, patting the dashboard a little, before looking off towards the Foundation's mansion. "You know, with both of us leaving, Devon is going to be pretty upset."

"Yes, I can imagine that he will." KITT says. "But I'm sure he'll understand."

He was already dreading telling Devon of his plans to leave and to retire from FLAG to live out a normal life. But now he's dreading it even more now that KITT has chosen to leave with him. He's not looking forward to how Devon will react to the news (or how Bonnie will react for that matter), although, much like KITT, he's sure the older man will understand.

Sighing, he shakes his head. "I'm not looking forward to telling him though."

"Then why don't we tell him together?" KITT suggests. "We can invite him out for a drive, and both tell him our plans together."

That sounds like a better idea instead of Michael just going in alone to talk with Devon. Both he and KITT tell Devon together, and be each other's moral support in a way, he guesses. It'll definitely make it easier for him anyway with KITT right there with him when he announces his plan to Devon.

"Sounds good, pal." Michael says. "Get Devon on the phone then, will ya?"

"Of course, Michael." KITT says, before getting straight to Michael's request.

And as Devon pops up on the screen, and Michael asks him to come out for a drive with him and KITT, for the first time over the past month or so, Michael finally feels good regarding his decision to leave now that KITT is leaving with him and he doesn't have to leave him behind.

However, he is still very much dreading letting Devon know, but with KITT right by his side, he feels much better.