P R O L O U G E

"Violet!" I heard a voice call from a few feet away. I turn my head to see my best friend since diapers, Elara.

I smile, standing from the bench I was previously sitting on and walking over to her. I place my book back into my tote bag and look up at El.

"What's up?"

She smiles. "Do you know that beach house I was talking about?" I sigh, knowing where this conversation is going.

"Yes, I remember. What about it?"

She gives me a toothy grin before pulling out her phone. "I got a text from the guy who owns it." She quickly adds, "Well his parents do. Anyways, he wants me to go stay with them at the house. A few girls decided to spend the summer at their college, so they have a few open rooms."

I nod my head. "And what did you say?"

"I told him I was only going if you were."

I frown. "That's a shame. Bad move, El. Bad move."

She tilts her head. "What do you mean?"

I giver her a knowing look. "You really expect me to stay at a house with a bunch of hormonal teenagers who will most likely throw a ton a parties with drugs and alcohol?" She frowns before biting her lip. I sigh. "Sorry, El. It's just not for me."

I start to walk but El calls my name. "Letty, please. You aren't yourself anymore. Just this summer. If you don't like it, you never have to come back."

I sigh and turn back to face her. "Fine. Just this summer, though. Deal?"

She smiles. "Deal."