05

Jaemin came back to your apartment with you after you'd decided you were full. You hadn't had much of an appetite after that harrowing conversation over dinner, and he'd left you with a lot of thinking to do. It wasn't every day that you heard a god's perspective on human lives—on toying with human lives, watching for their eventual breakdown in the aftermath of the 'gifts' he gave them. If that's what it did to them all, it seemed much more like a curse to you.

And you were of course thinking about whether it would happen to you too. You hadn't wished for riches or wealth directly, definitely not so much that it would have the same effect on your life as winning the lottery. But that didn't mean that you weren't worried. And the idea of Jaemin watching you every step of the way, waiting to see when you'd slip up, when you'd meet your breaking point, made you shiver instinctually.

"Are you cold?" Jaemin's question broke the silence that had been hovering over you two since you started the walk from the restaurant back to your apartment.

"Oh, no, I—"

But he had already shrugged his suit jacket off and laid it over your shoulders. There was no residual body heat in it, but it did help block out some of the breeze blowing past you. You hadn't noticed the temperature at all, too wrapped up in your own thoughts.

"Thanks," you muttered, wrapping the jacket tighter around your shoulders. It smelled faintly of spiced citrus.

"No worries."

Back in your apartment, you wanted nothing more than to lay in bed staring up at your ceiling as you gave yourself over fully to the existential crisis you were descending into. But you still had a god to entertain.

A glance at the change in time on your stovetop clock let you know that you were only a couple hours into your commitment. You hoped he didn't expect you to stay up all night with him. Leaving Jaemin in your living room once again, you changed into pajamas in your bedroom. If he was going to be with you every night from here on out, you were at least going to be comfy for some of it.

Jaemin was back in the armchair he had appeared in at the beginning of the night, one knee crossed over the other and a book in hand. You paused behind him on your way back into the living room to peer over his shoulder, trying to read the title at the top of the page he was on.

"The Turn of the Screw?" You questioned, walking around him to plop down onto your couch.

"I found it on your shelf," he gestured to the built-in shelves in the walls around the recess that held your TV. "I hope you don't mind."

"Knock yourself out, I haven't touched it since I had to read it for a ghost literature class like... four years ago."

"Ghost literature class?" Jaemin lowered the book to rest on his leg while he regarded you with an eyebrow raised. "Did you go to school in the Underworld or something?"

"It was actually called like 'Ghost Stories and Haunted Fiction of the 19th Century' or something. The students just called it ghost lit. We read all these spooky stories, including The Turn of the Screw," you explained, then looked around your living room. "I have a few more of them around here somewhere. Bram Stoker's Dracula, Mary Shelley's Frankenstein— I can't remember the full reading list, but they're scattered around."

"I'll keep that in mind." He raised the book back up to continue reading intently.

Since he seemed occupied for the moment, you pulled out your phone to distract yourself.

A couple hours later and you let out your first yawn of the night. You'd thought that Jaemin was so enraptured by the book that he wasn't paying any attention to you. The chuckle he gave from across the room proved you wrong, however. There was definitely nothing funny in that story. You threw him a scowl, but he neither looked up from the book nor said anything.

Shifting in your spot to get comfy again, you returned to the article that you'd been reading on your phone and your guest was quiet once again. Another yawn split your mouth, and the words on your screen swam in your vision as your eyes teared up.

"Tired, Y/N?" Jaemin's eyes still hadn't left the book as he continued, "You should go to sleep, early day at work tomorrow, right?"

"And what are you going to do?"

"I thought I'd finish this book, if that's alright with you. I've got about... thirty, forty pages left."

"Oh, uh, sure," you were surprised both that he was encouraging you to go to sleep during the time you'd agreed to forfeit to him, and that he wanted to finish the book.

Standing up from the couch, you shuffled into your kitchen to fill up a glass of water. After knocking back your nightly medication, you placed the water on your nightstand and went into your bathroom to do your nighttime routine. You found yourself hovering at the threshold between the hallway that contained your bedroom and bathroom, and the living room. It felt weird to just go to bed with someone else in your home, at least not without saying goodnight to them.

"Uhm," you cleared your throat.

Jaemin turned to look at you from over the back of the armchair, "Yes, Y/N?"

"I just wanted to..." you felt the words catch in your throat. Pushing through your awkwardness, you twisted the ring around your finger as you forced the words out, "Goodnight, Jaemin."

"Goodnight, Y/N." He smiled at you before turning back around to face his book, "See you tomorrow."

And with that, you retreated into your bedroom for the night, falling asleep almost as soon as your head hit the pillow.

The man of shadows was in your dreams again that night, drawing you to the tree with the golden fruit. His voice once more invited you to partake in picking the fruit, and your hand inched up, up, up, towards one. Your fingers had just wrapped around the fruit, ready to pluck it off the branch, when you woke up.