02

You groaned against the bright sunlight streaming in through a crack between your curtains. Directly on your face. You threw your left arm over your eyes to block it out as you continued lying in bed, letting your mind and body wake up gradually.

Memories of last night's visitor came back to you, and you sighed. Surely it was a dream. A weird, weird dream that your mind conjured up in an attempt to fulfill your wish for a job.

But when you squinted your eyes open and brought your right hand up enough to look at your fingers, the silver band that sat there let you know that it was real. You'd been visited last night, by Hades, who said he'd grant your wish for a job in exchange for a third of your life. And you said yes.

The loud sound of your phone buzzing on your nightstand prompted you to roll over and grab it to look at the caller ID. Lee Jeno.

"Yeah?" You couldn't even muster up a proper greeting as you picked up, still bogged down by sleep.

"Y/N, great news!"

You glanced at the time on your phone before bringing it back up to your ear, "Jeno, it's not even 9:30 a.m., why are you calling me? You can't be on lunch."

"I know, but as soon as I heard, I had to tell you!"

"Tell me what, exactly?"

"There's a job opening at the firm! You have to apply!"

That woke you up.

"An opening?" You asked, shooting up into a sitting position.

"Jo Haseul, the junior partner at the firm I've been telling you about, her paralegal won the lottery and quit on the spot. No two weeks' notice, they're urgently hiring her replacement. I'll text you the firm administrator's email for you to send your résumé to!"

"That would be great, thank you, Jeno."

"Of course!" He said brightly as another phone began ringing in the background. "I've got to go now, Ms. Kang is buzzing me."

"Right, thank you again."

"Bye!"

"Bye," you brought your phone down to see he had already ended the call.

As you went to grab your laptop from the foot of your bed to begin drafting that email, your eyes got caught by the silver ring on your hand.