32- I've Got You

"How does Banks feel about lasagna?" my mom asked over the phone.

"I don't know, I haven't asked. But he's not a picky eater," I responded with my phone perched on the edge of my dresser so that I could attempt to style my hair in the mirror. The party was already alive two floors below me, but thankfully the bass of the music wasn't loud enough to be heard through the phone.

"Okay, well ask him, will you?" she urged me. "I want to make something nice when he visits. Will he need the guest room? The sheets are kind of dusty, so I'll have to change those."

"No, he'll stay with me. I don't want this to be a big deal, Ma."

"Of course this is a big deal, Liam," she insisted. "Not because he's a boy but because you're introducing us to the person you're dating. You hardly ever do that. And from what we've heard from Quinn, you're quite smitten."

"Smitten," I repeated the word with amusement. "This isn't the fifties."

"I'm saying that I haven't seen you this excited about a partner before, and Quinn agrees."

"I don't like you and Quinn talking about my partners," I protested, although it was a futile complaint. Quinn was always filling in our parents on parts of my life I didn't tell them about directly. She wasn't a snitch, never telling them anything to get me in too much trouble, but loved to gossip about things like who I was dating.

"She's only said good things," Mom assured me. "And I want to make a good first impression. Is this his first relationship with another boy as well?"

"No, he's very gay."

Ever since I told my mom that I'd be bringing Banks home for a long weekend in the spring, she'd been talking about it non-stop. Talking about the meals we'd eat, the activities we'd do as a family to get to know him. We'd only be spending about half a day with Sara and the soccer team, so there was so much room for other things. And so many ways to embarrass me, which I was sure would be inevitable. Especially if Quinn decided to spend the weekend at home too.

"I'm really excited to meet him," she continued to gush. "You've been glowing since Christmas, I can tell."

"Yes, yes, I'm very much in love. Which is why I don't want you scaring him off," I said, finally feeling satisfied with the way my hair laid across my forehead. I was wearing a pair of plain black joggers and a maroon v-neck t-shirt.

"Is he nervous about meeting us?"

"No, I don't think so. He doesn't really get nervous," I said to her. If anything, I was the nervous one. They'd undoubtedly say something embarrassing about me that Banks would then sink into, never forget, and bring up every once in a while for the rest of our lives.

"Well, good. We'll be on our best behavior, I promise," she promised.

"I'd appreciate that. I have to go, the guys are waiting for me downstairs," I told her to end the conversation.

We traded 'I love you's and 'goodnight's before the call ended and I stuffed the phone into my pants pocket, leaving the room. I pretended not to see Ollie and Morgan making out in the hallway of the second floor and continued as quietly as possible to the party on the first.

Kenji and Bridgette were playing beer pong against Walker and Beth. It was a major relief that they'd worked through their argument, because I really didn't want to be involved in the reason they were having issues. Sam was nowhere to be seen and I was sure my roommates wouldn't relent on their ban of her from our house.

I waved to a couple of people as I scooted through the crowd to the kitchen, grabbing a beer from the pile on the counter.

This was the first big party we were having at the house after I kissed Banks in front of everybody and then Sam called me a fairy and poured her drink on my shirt. So, I was getting some funny looks that I pretended not to notice.