Chapter Eighteen

"Some legends are told
Some turn to dust or to gold
But you will remember me
Remember me for centuries
And just one mistake
Is all it will take
We'll go down in history"
                              Fall Out Boy, American Beauty/American Psyco
"Centuries"

3:29 read the clock by Alec's bed. Peter was staring up at the ceiling, occasionally looking at the clock. He had his wings wrapped around himself, he was absolutely exhausted but couldn't sleep a wink. Alec's near death experience had freaked him out so badly. He couldn't stand to see Alec give up like that.

3:32. Time was slipping by slowly. Peter looked over at Alec. He was sleeping on his back, Peter had noticed Alec take a couple sleeping pills before going to bed, Peter had almost not noticed but just barely saw him tip his head back and pop the two pills.

3:34. Peter sighed quietly, got out of the bed, and walked to the kitchen. He practically jumped out of his skin when he saw Sam sitting on a barstool drinking a soda or something along those lines. Sam looked up and smiled tiredly at Peter.

"Couldn't sleep either?" Sam asked, his voice quieter than normal in hopes of not waking the others. Peter nodded.

"Yeah." Sam looked down at the drink in his hands.

"I've never seen Alec give up like that." Sam said, his voice only a horse whisper. Peter nodded, looking down regretfully.

"Neither have I." Peter looked up only to look at the clock.

3:42

"There's a lot you don't know about this team, you know." Sam said, raising his voice only slightly so that Peter could hear him very clearly. Peter looked at Sam suspiciously.

"How's that?" He asked, his eyebrow raised.

"For instance- did you know I was a medic in the army before this?" Sam said smiling at Peter's look of surprise.

"When?" Peter asked, the confusion audible in his voice.

"World War Two."

"That doesn't make any sense."

"Exactly. Another thing; Iris had a warlock boyfriend who was born in the medieval time period. His name is Finn."

"Why are you telling me this? Won't Iris be angry with you for telling me something she wouldn't tell me?"

"No, she and Finn are still together but just have been on different paths. Also, did you know that Cass was a con man- or would that be con woman? Anyway, I'm just saying, we're all a little weird. So get used to it."

"Well, there's also a lot you don't know about me." Sam laughed.

"Oh I'm sure there is. But that's beside the point. You know why they didn't tell you what I just did? Because they were afraid to. And I know why you haven't told us everything- because you are afraid to. And that's okay. Not everyone needs to know everything. If everyone knew everything about each other do you know what the world would be like? No one would be able to be to themselves! Everyone's privacy would be screwed over. Do you have any idea how many more people would be considered crazy? Okay, three am rant over, I just wanted to tell you, it's okay not to tell us everything, just give us the same right, okay?"

"Yeah, okay." Sam smiled and slapped Peter's back as he walked away.

"Maybe I'll explain myself a little better tomorrow."

"Yeah, maybe I will, too." Peter walked outside and sat down on the curb. He was tired but didn't want to go back to bed. He looked up at the stars and moon. His wings glinted slightly in the moonlight. Some would say he looked like an angel. Others would go so far as to say he looked like a fallen one.