A Not So Good Evening

Three thirty turned to four, and four turned to six. Snow was building up and my phone was dead. Nine year old me was trying to find a safe way to get home in the dangerous streets of Chicago after my babysitter forgot about me at school. The lights were beginning to shut off for the night as I stayed silently crying on the bench across from the front office. School clubs had finished for the day and majority of the teachers had gone home. "You're still here?" I jolted in surprise, and turned toward the strong voice that startled me. The principal Dr. Prosen. There were rumors of him being a vampire. He'd only go outside if it was raining or really cloudy and he was as pale as a ghost. Obviously, as a nine year old I believed these rumors and was terrified of him. I looked down and nodded in response to his question. He sat next to me as the front of the building was the only place illuminated.

He asked me if there was anyone I could call as he led me into the front office flicking on the lights. I didn't know anyone's phone numbers by heart yet. It hit me that no one had remembered me. No one knew that I wasn't at home. This time they truly forgot about me. I broke down in tears before I could tell him I didn't know. He guided me to the nearest chair and kneeled beside me, reassuring me and trying to calm me down. "They really aren't coming for me, are they?" I mumbled through tears. Unsure of what to do or what to say, he tried to distract me. Once I wasn't crying anymore, he asked me if I wanted to be apart of the  Principals Association Club (PAC). He said I qualified because I was already a Hall monitor and we could do the interview while we waited for someone to show. And if no one was here after we finished he would have to called the police. After that sentence, loud banging could be heard. It was about 7:30 pm. Dr.Prosen opened the office door to find my four year old little sister and my dad , frantic and out of breath, standing by the door. Once I identified him, the Principal let me run and give my dad a hug. My dad was eager to explain the situation to the principal.

"Her afternoon sitter forgot her." Dr. Prosen blinked in disbelief. As I kept my little sister entertained in the lobby. "It's true" my dad said noticing the doubt in the principals eyes. "Im a mechanic at Midway Airport, I don't get off work until 7, my wife works all the way on the other side of Chicago and her school doesn't get out until 4. Shes like two hours away" My dad took an inhale and swallowed down fury. "I went to pick up my kids from her house and she had one and not the other. She claimed that she was 100% positive she picked her up. Shes been known to lie a lot so I instantly came here after firing her." The Principal, probably wanting to go home, let us go, waved us goodbye and sent us on our way.

A.N.: yes this actually happened and yes the babysitter did get fired. She also left my little sister in a freezing car when she was still in diapers then blamed me for it. She was kind of a bitch tbh.. also Dr. Prosen left my school after that year so that was kinda sad. :( Bye!