Chapter 18: The Devil's Pie is Never Sweet

Copyright © 2017, Nikki B. Lourie if you are reading this work on any other domain than Wattpad, it has been plagiarized.

Lily groaned as awareness slowly returned to her body. A chill she had never experienced before gripped her figure causing her to tremble violently. Freezing was a word too inadequate to describe how she was feeling. It was almost as if she was on the verge of hypothermia. Pin-prickling tingles traveled across the bottom of her feet, her toes were heavy with numbness. Lethargy still clung to her tightly as she resisted the urge to fall asleep. Her body was more like a marionette, moving on its own without her control.

"Hello?" her voice trembled. Her stiff fingers were foreign against her own arms. It was as if she wasn't rubbing her limbs but a wooden hand was doing it for her. "Hello?"

Mustering up a little energy, she lifted her head to look around. Where was she? Why was she in a cage? Why was it unrealistically cold? Where was Prince Charming? Was he all right? "Hello? It's so very cold," she called a little louder.

"Hang on. You'll warm up soon."

"P-prince?" her lips quivered. Her eyes gradually adjusted to the room yet the looming silhouette remained blanketed by the darkness. "Is that you?"

"Is it?" His figure slowly crept forward yet still clung to the shadows causing her to squint.

"What do you mean?" A soft chuckle filled the frigid room. "Charming?"

"I can be when I want to be." Fire quickened from the hearth, a warm rush of heat caressing her cheek.

Lily sighed contentedly as the heat gradually began to warm the tips of her digits. The unbearable cold was slowly infiltrated by advancing warmth. "Prince, why are you acting this way?"

"Whatever do you mean?"

"Her barely warmed fingers gripped the frozen bars as she stepped closer to get a better look at him. "Please, get me out of here." Lily could feel that the room wasn't as frigid as before. Even the cloud of her visible breath had vanished, never to return.

"You want out?" Igor teased. "Perhaps it's best to keep you in." He turned toward the cage, a wicked smile parting his lips. Sharp pointy teeth glistened in the dark corner of the chamber from where he stood.

"Charming, what sharp teeth you have," Lily gasped. She cowered against the farthest bars of her cage, her back pressing painfully into the harsh iron. Two round, bright yellow eyes radiated in her direction causing her to whimper. "Charming, what big, yellow eyes you have."

A dark chuckle gently rose from the pit of Igor's belly startling her. Lily couldn't understand what was taking place. Gradually, to her chagrin, the yellow eyes traveled higher until her head was lifting back to look up at them. "Oh Charming, how b-big yo-yo-you are," she stuttered, silent tears gliding down her cheeks.

She was starting to realize that things weren't quite as they seemed. "Ch-charming—"

"You know the thing about humans that I despise the most?" he asked, those sharp teeth and yellow eyes creepily approaching her. She didn't want to know, but he told her anyway. "You're all so weak. You expect the perfect, little fairytale looking for your Prince Charming. But everybody knows that he doesn't exist," he sneered, his hideous face finally stepping into the light.

Terror resounded in the frigid room as Lily clambered away from the hideous beast before her. Her throat was beginning to ache from all of her yelling. His crude laughter blended well with her cries and although he was of no assistance, Lily was able to calm herself enough to speak. "Who are you?"